Acknowledgements in 802.11p

D G

Aug 16, 2017, 11:54:09 AM8/16/17
to ns-3-users
Hello everyone,
I have a rather simple question.
And maybe I am missing something that would help me, but is the current 802.11p model regarding acknowledgements properly?
Because I see any backup or resend happening when an ack is missing.
Or do I have to explicitly set this behaviour?

Best Regards
D. G.

D G

Aug 18, 2017, 4:43:26 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
I probobly held some usefull information back.
I used in this scenario the QosWaveMacHelper for mac layer - which should actually support acks due to the fact that inherits from WifiMac.
And of course I am using the Wifi80211pHelper.
Channel and Phy are bot YansWifi...Helper even though I guess it is not necessary.

Konstantinos

Aug 18, 2017, 5:02:42 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,

What type of traffic do you sent? Broadcast is not acknowledged by design!

Regards

D G

Aug 18, 2017, 5:40:58 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
I send packets to a specific IP address (10.1.1.2) not to the bc address (255.255.255.255)
The receiver is - or should be - a sink with the assigned address.

And ,what I just found out, there are some arp requests but it seems that there is no answer to the request.

Do I need to fill the arp cache beforehand?

And thank you for your help again Konstantinos :)

Konstantinos

Aug 18, 2017, 5:45:46 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
If the node is not in range, hence the ARP is not resolved, then there is no traffic.
Please provide the scenario (attach).

D G

Aug 18, 2017, 7:18:38 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
Here is the whole scenario.
If there are further questions I will gladly provide the answers :)
80211p script.cc

Konstantinos

Aug 18, 2017, 7:53:01 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,

Two issues:

1) You have modified the PHY only at one node
 // generate wifiphy for frequency and channelwidth

Ptr<WifiNetDevice> wifiNetDevice = DynamicCast<WifiNetDevice>(devices.Get(0) );

Ptr<WifiPhy> wifiPhy = wifiNetDevice->GetPhy();

// wifiPhy->SetAttribute("ChannelNumber", UintegerValue(172));
 wifiPhy
->SetAttribute("Frequency", UintegerValue(5890) );
 wifiPhy
->SetAttribute("ChannelWidth", UintegerValue(10) );

Here you modify the PHY only at one NetDevice, which will create disparity among the two nodes.
There is no need for such configuration, as the 802.11p helper you use sets the appropriate values

43 {
44  Wifi80211pHelper helper;
46  helper.SetRemoteStationManager ("ns3::ConstantRateWifiManager",
47  "DataMode", StringValue ("OfdmRate6MbpsBW10MHz"),
48  "ControlMode",StringValue ("OfdmRate6MbpsBW10MHz"),
49  "NonUnicastMode", StringValue ("OfdmRate6MbpsBW10MHz"));
50  return helper;
51 }

2) The second issue is with your packet sink. Currently it only listens to a single unicast IP. Hence the broadcast messages are not received (correctly).
If you want to receive those as well, try the Anycast address when setting up your PacketSink.

D G

Aug 18, 2017, 7:58:23 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users

You are a kind of hero to me.

Learning ns3 is really fun in this community, thank you!