[Question] Aplication Layer base abstraction in NS3 about node with 2 device containers (NODE with 2 connections)

Johnathan Joestar

Apr 3, 2015, 11:59:42 AM4/3/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Good day experts, maybe this is the worst day  for ask this, but...

Since the application documentation is kinda....EMPTY.

I would like to know if ,in the Aplication layer base abstraction is there a way to notice the "switch" from one IP to another IP in the simulator, without interrupt the communication, (Like when you use your android phone with LTE and suddenly you get in your WiFi coverage and turn it off),

Thank you

Konstantinos

Apr 3, 2015, 12:17:54 PM4/3/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you check at the applications implemented in the /src/applications (either traffic generators or source), you will notice that they are simply creating Tcp/Udp sockets to send/receive packets. There is no limitation either (a) the number of sockets or (b) from where packets reach that socket.
That's the point generally of having this layering, each layer communicates with the corresponding layer in the other side.
Having said that, the application should be oblivient to the underlying connections. Therefore, it should not notice the switch.

Though, if you want to pass that information, e.g. from which net device did I receive that packet, is it Wifi or LTE, you should create the corresponding information flow. In NS-3 this can be easily be achieved either with callbacks or by tagging packets.

Johnathan Joestar

Apr 5, 2015, 1:08:06 PM4/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mr Konstantinos.