How to use/port LEDBAT-ns2 module with ns-3

Michael

Nov 27, 2014, 7:32:12 PM11/27/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am working on an improved version of LEDBAT/µTP.

It already  exists a ns-2 implementation:

I have run successfully some simple simulations with that.

How could I use/port that code with ns-3?

 Any suggestion, please?

Tommaso Pecorella

Nov 28, 2014, 9:08:36 AM11/28/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

very, VERY interesting. I was looking at µTP too a few days ago.

The problem is: ns2 and ns-3 are so different that you'll have to re-write almost everything from scratch. Depending on how the ns2 module is written, you may be able to borrow a large part of the code. Otherwise, you can always use the existing code as a blueprint.

By the way, I'd suggest to move to ns-dev mailing list. It's more appropriate for porting and new modules development discussions.

Cheers,

T.

Tom Henderson

Nov 28, 2014, 2:34:31 PM11/28/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
The ns-2 LEDBAT code leverages the TCP Linux [1] extensions,
facilitating the port of Linux TCP code to ns-2.

That is, it is not structured as either the native ns-2 or ns-3 TCP
code. Although ns-3's TCP structure should support a native LEDBAT
implementation, it would be a non-trivial port of the ns-2 code.

For ns-3, there are two other possibilities that I suggest to investigate:

1) others [2] have combined Network Simulation Cradle with LEDBAT, and
ns-3 supports NSC. I would suggest to contact the authors to see if
that code can be shared.

2) Direct Code Execution [3] allows the Linux network stack to be
compiled in a special way and included in ns-3 simulations. Getting
this to run probably involves making sure that the LEDBAT kernel module
implementation is included in the build.

Hope this helps,
Tom

[1] http://netlab.caltech.edu/projects/ns2tcplinux/

[2]