Visualizing Large LEO Satellite Network using NetSimulyzer

Raouane Dehimi

Jun 1, 2024, 4:04:57 PMJun 1
to ns-3-users
I am working on a project that involves simulating a large LEO satellite network using ns-3 and visualizing it with NetSimulyzer. However, I am encountering difficulties in visualizing large networks. When I attempt to run the simulation with a high number of satellites , the NetSimulyzer visualization fails to load correctly ,The JSON output file is generated, but when loaded into NetSimulyzer, the visualization does not appear or the application becomes unresponsive.
Any suggestions or guidance on how to effectively visualize large LEO satellite networks would be greatly appreciated.

ns-3 Version: 3.35

Aidan Hansen

Jun 4, 2024, 9:40:36 PMJun 4
to ns-3-users
Snipaste_2024-06-04_10-10-56.png
you need make your own gui tool for your ns3. I exported the constellation information to the Python side through memory communication, and then realized the constellation display.Keep in mind that ns3 is a very flexible program written in C++. Find programming skills involving C++ and then use them to develop custom modules for ns3.

Raouane Dehimi

Jun 5, 2024, 5:16:30 AMJun 5
to ns-3-users
thank you for the reply
it's great idea I will try to do something similar ,but have you tried NetSimulyzer?

Zoe Jiang

Jun 14, 2024, 3:46:25 AMJun 14
to ns-3-users
Excuse me,
I've been working on LEO recently, but I found there's no existing modules for satellites in ns3 and I'm using P2P models right now, I wonder what communication models or modules you have used?
By the way, I'm researching routing optimization in LEO based on ns3-gym, has anyone can give me some advice or guide?
Thanks a lot.

Raouane Dehimi

Jun 15, 2024, 6:28:35 AMJun 15
to ns-3-users
hello zoe jiang

actually, i ' m working with something similar about routing and use ns3-ai,if you install ns3-leo you will find 3 example but very helpful you can use them to create your own module
best luck

Aidan Hansen

Jun 19, 2024, 9:50:49 AM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to ns-3-users

hi Dehimi,

The project at this link https://github.com/hust-diangroup/ns3-ai is crucial. Make sure to review the author's articles as well.

In reality, this is just one approach. Apart from using shared memory, communication with other software/programs can also be achieved through sockets. Essentially, there are only two ways to enable communication between different software: shared memory and socket communication. (No one would use external files like txt or json for interaction in real-time co-simulation, although it might be possible.) Visualization software is just a small part, and you can even write it yourself. I directly use the open-source Cesium, which is convenient and performs better.i have't use NetSimulyzer in leo network,becauset it is not real-time.However, I believe it can be transformed into a real-time GUI module.

 I am not sure what your GUI requirements are. For me,Real-time GUI display is primarily for debugging algorithms, as it allows for a more intuitive understanding of the algorithm's operational state.none-real-time is inefficient for debugging.

Zoe Jiang

Jun 23, 2024, 8:29:47 PM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to ns-3-users
Hi Dehimi,
thanks a lot, I have tried the ns3-leo module, but I have been stuck in routing protocols,  especially switching in k-shortest paths of  source and destination. I found the ns3-leo uses aodv,  have you ever met the same difficulties?
Sincerely hope to get your help, best wishes.

Zoe Jiang

Jun 23, 2024, 9:03:22 PM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to ns-3-users
By the way , I have found something about using  netsimulyzer to visualize LEO satellites, hope it can help you.
https://www.projectguideline.com/visualizing-ns-3-leo-satellite-network-using-netsimulyzer-3d/