Running custom (python) scripts on nodes

misho janew

Feb 28, 2020, 12:58:29 AM2/28/20
to ns-3-users
Hi all,

 I am pretty sure this answer has been already answered somewhere but I was unable to find the answer, so even a link to the relevant thread would be most welcome!

Here's my issue briefly:

 I have custom server and client written in python and I'd like to run those on NS-3 nodes. I have built a dumbbell topology.

 Relevant part being N1---R1---N2

And if possible I'd like to run the server on N2 and the client on N1.

I'd happily use the helpers but what I wrote is to send some (modified) QUIC traffic and for that purpose, none of them really do the trick. I think I'd be able to do it if I write a QUIC Application for NS-3 but that seems like a lot of work. Also I have looked into the Direct Code Execution (DCE) module, but that seems a bit too complex for what I want (perhaps I am wrong).

In essence, on Mininet (a network emulator) I can create said nodes and directly execute bash commands on them
~ python APP.py
where APP is the server or the client respectively on the corresponding nodes. Is there something similar to this?

Thanks