Get packet sent feedback from mac layer in upper layers

Michał Król

Aug 28, 2014, 6:50:09 AM8/28/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm developing a routing protocol for wifi mesh networks and I was wondering if it is possible to get a feedback from layer 2 indicating if a unicast packet was successfully delivered to a peer. Many mac layers have (especially wifi) has a retransmission/ack system allowing to ensure packet delivery (or say that it was not possible to deliver it). I want to be able to delete routes for example if my neighbor got offline.

For now I'm using send() method on Ipv4L3Protocol, which does not return any value. Is there other method to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Tommaso Pecorella

Aug 28, 2014, 9:43:11 AM8/28/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think you'll have to modify the wifi netdevice. Usually this cross-layer info is not forwarded from L2 to L3, unless you use special APIs. This is valid for a real system and for ns-3 as well.

Cheers,

T.

Michał Król

Sep 2, 2014, 6:58:46 AM9/2/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll do that - thanks for your help!