[LENA] Would I expect any interaction between DL and UL?

Xing Xu

May 11, 2016, 6:19:51 PM5/11/16
to ns-3-users
Dear all,

A quick question. LENA document says that it only considers FDD, then I assume there is no interaction between DL and UL (I mean, DL and UL work completely separately, they would not interfere with each other). Is that the case? Not from my experiment.

For my experiment, if I configured some UEs with some DL traffic (there is no inter-cell interference or fading), and I log their DL throughput; and then in addition, I added UL traffic to those UEs (UL traffic is pretty light compare to DL one), and log their DL throughput again. If DL and UL work separately, I would expect that the DL throughput for two experiments are the same. But clearly that's not the case: the DL throughput would be (much) lower with UL traffic.

Why is that?

Thanks,
Xing

Xing Xu

May 12, 2016, 12:32:08 PM5/12/16
to ns-3-users
can someone help me on this?

Marco Miozzo

May 13, 2016, 3:54:51 AM5/13/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
It might depends on many reasons (fading, UE positions, interference, etc.). All the tests on all the schedulers evaluate that the DL and UL throughput are the expected ones, as they would be orthogonal. In case you have a different behavior, it might be a bug, therefore you may provide a script for reproducing it.

Best,
marco.

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Xing Xu <ves...@gmail.com> wrote:
can someone help me on this?

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Xing Xu

May 13, 2016, 12:56:55 PM5/13/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
It's good to know that UL and DL should be orthogonal, let me check and post my script if needed.

Now, for a quick response, there is no fading or interference, and UE positions are the same (the only difference is whether there is such light UL traffic or not).

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ns-3-users" group.

Xing Xu

May 13, 2016, 3:53:13 PM5/13/16
to ns-3-users
Actually, I just checked, this "UL traffic slows down DL" only happens for AM mode, but not for UM, does this make sense?

And, FYI, it slows down a lot! In my experiment, when there is no UL traffic, the DL rate can be more than 90000B/s, however when I introduce 10 UL packets per second (very light UL traffic!), the rate dropped to ~30000B/s. Even 3 UL packets per second drops the rate to ~70000B/s.

Xing Xu

May 13, 2016, 7:46:11 PM5/13/16
to ns-3-users
Dear Marco,

I posted separately and with my script, please take a look:

Thanks!