VANET for security research

Brandon

Aug 22, 2017, 6:58:46 AM8/22/17
to ns-3-users
Hello everyone!

I am a new NS-3 user and my aim is to create a VANET for the purpose of simulating a number of attacks against the network and their consequences. I have completed the NS-3 tutorial, but I am still left with a number of questions as to how I should approach this.

My biggest concern at the moment is the mobility model for the traffic simulation. I have read of many people using SUMO and other simulators to generate a trace, and then importing the trace into NS-3. However, as far I can tell, this results in a static traffic simulation which simply follows the resulting XML file and does not respond to changes in the NS-3 environment. For example, if I were to simulate an attack against the traffic lights (which I assume will be stationary WiFi nodes), and change all lights at an intersection to green, I would like this to result in crashing cars and the normal traffic flow to be interrupted for the vehicles which were affected by the accident. Unless I am missing something, it seems to me like I would have to handle the traffic simulation completely inside NS-3 for this to be possible. Is this correct?

I am also not sure as to how exactly this is going to happen. I plan on using Open Street Map to generate a map file, which I will then parse into NS-3 using a class designed to store that data. I will have a Vehicle class which will store vehicle position, speed, acceleration, etc. Finally, I assume I would need a custom mobility model which will update the position of the vehicles based on their current speed and acceleration, in accordance with the map. However, I cannot think of a halfway efficient way to calculate the exact coordinates of the next position on the map given only the distance the vehicle should have moved, considering the road can be any irregular shape, including straight areas and curves, etc.

What would be the best way to do this? Are there any examples of similar mobility models for urban traffic using only NS-3? Or is there a way to use SUMO for this after all?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Regards,
Brandon

wahab

Aug 22, 2017, 9:33:51 AM8/22/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,
I worked while with security on vanet
Regards,

Konstantinos

Aug 22, 2017, 11:54:12 AM8/22/17
to ns-3-users
HI,

For dynamic/online coupling of traffic (SUMO) and network (ns-3) simulator you could use VSimRTI which is a platform to connect those two (and other) simulators.
Similar work is presented here http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7581471/ but I do not know if the code is available.

There have been some other vehicular mobility models for ns-3, but mainly for highway.
Further, the RoutesMobilityModel https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/RoutesMobilityModel

Regards

Brandon

Aug 23, 2017, 7:33:12 AM8/23/17
to ns-3-users
Hello Konstantinos,

Thank you for the detailed reply. The sources you have provided are exactly what I was looking for!

Regards,
Brandon