S1-AP primitives

kamal adli mehr

Sep 27, 2016, 6:25:06 AM9/27/16
to ns-3-users
Hello

I have a few questions regarding the operation of the S1-AP primitives implemented in ns-3. In the documentation it is stated that only following primitives are implemented ideally:

• INITIAL UE MESSAGE
• INITIAL CONTEXT SETUP REQUEST
• INITIAL CONTEXT SETUP RESPONSE
• PATH SWITCH REQUEST
• PATH SWITCH REQUEST ACKNOWLEDGE

I was wondering where these primitives are called and run during the LTE-EPC simulation?
For example, in the TS 36.413 it is stated that "When the eNB has received from the radio interface the first UL NAS message transmitted on an RRC connection to be forwarded to an MME, the eNB shall invoke the NAS Transport procedure and send the INITIAL UE MESSAGE message to the MME including the NAS message as a NAS-PDU IE.". Since S1-AP is modeled ideally in the ns-3, I assume there would be no message transmitted on RRC to be forwarded to MME in the simulation. So INITIAL UE MESSAGE would never be used, even though it is implemented in the simulator.

I would be really grateful if anyone can explain this for me.

Best Regards

Marco Miozzo

Sep 27, 2016, 6:48:11 AM9/27/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

let me suggest you to activate the log of the correspondent modules and have a look to the traces (e.g., NS_LOG=EpcEnbApplication:EpcMme ./waf --run lena-simple-epc).
In detail, S1-AP is modeled with an ideal interface, which means that there is not yet a real interface for this protocol (i.e., with encoded packet). However, the interface is implemented with system calls, as you can see from the traces.

Best,
marco.

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting