Can I use ns-3 to simulate the SDN with wired environment

Tony Yang

Oct 3, 2017, 12:17:22 PM10/3/17
to ns-3-users
Thank's for the posts here.
I know that the current OpenFlow(SDN) module in ns-3 is the older version.
So, We can use the "OFSWITCH13" the extend it.
But, how can I use the selected controller to conduct my topology? (e.g. I prefer Ryu, others maybe like to use OpenDayLight)

Can I use the ns-3 like Mininet treat SDN?

Luciano Jerez Chaves

Oct 8, 2017, 8:05:57 PM10/8/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,

The OFSwitch13 is not an extension of the built in SDN module. This is a new and independent implementation.
You can check for the external controller examples to learn how to use any available SDN controller running on the local machine to configure the simulated topology. But keep in mind that this feature was not extensively tested and may work only with small topologies.

Finally, ns-3 is a simulator while mininet is an emulator. They are different in concept and the way you configure the SDN is different too.

[]'s