Create H.264 packet trace from video

matteo.d...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2018, 9:10:55 AM4/11/18
to ns-3-users
Hello everyone,

The peculiarity of my scenario is that, using JSVM software, I obtain a text file corresponding to the trace video packets encoded using H.264/SVC. After a little bit of post processing, I get an input file suitable for network simulation; then, I try to reconstruct the trace with the packets at the receiver, and after that of course I elaborate some metrics to compare different transmission strategy.
However, last update on JSVM seems to be quite old. In fact, if some (not fundamental) packets are missing from the received trace, the bitstream is reconstructed but video decoding procedure won't finish (which to me seems counter-intuitive given H.264 decoding policies).

This means that I can potentially obtain inconsistent metrics.

I tried also ffmpeg for the bitstream processing procedure, but in this case it doesn't recognize the enhancement quality layer which I encoded in my video-stream. Given all the listed problems, I would like to know if there's any software that, given a video with any extension as input, it returns as output a text file corresponding to the packet trace. Moreover, it is important that it can do also the reverse process: from a packet trace text file, it must reconstruct the bit stream.

Thanks in advance