Development of Bluetooth Low Energy Protocol Stack

May 14, 2016, 10:07:12 AM5/14/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

Currently I am studying about Bluetooth Low Energy to simulate Energy Harvested Wireless Networks using BLE protocol. Hence, to complete it, I will have to code the BLE protocol stack for NS-3. Since Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is promising technology for the future of Sensor Networks and IoT, NS-3 should have the simulation tool for that. My code can be merged in to main stream code so that others can be benefited.

To develop background for BLE, I have thoroughly read and understood the book by Robert Heydon titled as "Bluetooth Low Energy: A developer's Guide" and a book by Kevin Townsend titled as "Getting Started with BLE". I have completed the NS-3 Tutorial, it's development guidelines and I have been using NS-3 for a while. Hence, it can be assumed that I am quite familiar with BLE and NS-3.

I wanted some help to develop a coding flow. I have a flow model about how BLE works and what are it's packet structures etc. but I am unable to plan it for implementation. I have tried to understand the current TCP/IP implementation in src/internet/models but was not able to reach to any conclusion.

Kindly help me to develop the flow of the project. Anyone familiar with BLE can help.

Thank you.

Tommaso Pecorella

May 14, 2016, 2:18:17 PM5/14/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

I'm not familiar with BTLE, but definitely the internet module isn't an appropriate example.
You should start by checking the csma (t's a simple NetDevice) and then a more complex one like lr-wpan. I'd avoid other wireless NetDevices, like wifi or let, only because they're very complex and can be quite confusing.

Beside that, my suggestion is to define the APIs between the various layers (i.e., the classes) as close as possible to the standard (it's always a good idea). The code implementation will follow these naturally.

A last suggestion: it won't be an easy task. However, if you really plan to implement BTLE, we'll be happy to discuss and support your development.

Cheers,

T.

Eyuel Debebe

Jun 27, 2017, 10:46:08 AM6/27/17
to ns-3-users
Hello Kartik:
I am planning to work on BLE, did you manage to implement  BLE protocol stack for NS-3?
please, let me know.

friendly regards

Kartik Patel

Jun 27, 2017, 11:54:01 AM6/27/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Eyuel,

Thank you for your interest in our work. Unfortunately, we are not keeping the module open as of now because of some reasons.

We are planning to make it public in distant future. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Kartik Patel

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting