Created new Packet Header , Wireshark

Avinash Sridhar

Apr 16, 2014, 4:18:38 PM4/16/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

It will be helpful to get some tips on the following query.

I have created my header for packet that is basically appended along with the Wifi-Mac header each time an Association Request is sent out.

I would like to see this packet header using Wireshark. Is this something supported?

However, the header is viewable when we perform Packet::EnablePrinting.

Thanks,
~Avinash

Tommaso Pecorella

Apr 16, 2014, 7:12:12 PM4/16/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

if the header is correctly serialized, it should be seen in Wireshark. However, Wireshark may not have the dissector for your header, so it may not show it.
You'll see the bytes, but you'll not see them "decoded" (Wireshark calls this dissection)

How to extend Wireshark to dissect your header is another point. You should check Wireshark's documentation about it.

Cheers,

T.