Problem when building ns 3.2x with quagga/dce support ("Subprocess failed with error")

neko neko

Apr 21, 2015, 3:12:12 PM4/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Because of recently found bug in Global Routing module (it won't set routes correctly for complex topologies build upon csma bridging datalink model), I decided to give a try to some alternative routing protocol implementations, and set my eys on something named quagga/dce, what supposedly can be easly configured and provides the same functionality as global routing does (and, if I'm lucky, will work perfectly with csma bridge based topology). So I tried to follow some installation guides, and failed miserably. Goolging didn't help either, so this group is my last hope.

Initial bake configuration string looked like this: "./bake.py configure -e dce-ns3-1.5 -e dce-quagga-1.5"
In output of commands like "./bake.py show" and "./bake.py check" I can't see anything obviously wrong. It seems that all dependecies are present (only one or two auxiliary and optional components are missing), but running "./bake.py build" results in error during compilation of  "dce-ns3-1.5" component.
Running "./bake.py --debug build" left me with this not very descriptive error message:
============Message head==============
>> Building dce-ns3-1.5 -   -> LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/share/bake/build/lib
  -> LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/share/bake/build/lib
Problem

TaskError: <bake.Exceptions.TaskError instance at 0x9bf088c>

  File "/usr/share/bake/bake/Module.py", line 423, in build
    self._build.build(env, jobs)
  File "/usr/share/bake/bake/ModuleBuild.py", line 430, in build
    env=self._env(env.objdir))
  File "/usr/share/bake/bake/ModuleEnvironment.py", line 533, in run
    raise TaskError('Subprocess failed with error %d: %s' % (retcode, str(args)))
 > Error:  Critical dependency, module "dce-ns3-1.5" failed

DependencyUnmet: <bake.Dependencies.DependencyUnmet instance at 0x9c0ee6c>

  File "/usr/share/bake/bake/Bake.py", line 569, in _iterate
    deps.resolve(targets)
  File "/usr/share/bake/bake/Dependencies.py", line 198, in resolve
    self._resolve_serial(targets, callback)
  File "/usr/share/bake/bake/Dependencies.py", line 414, in _resolve_serial
    finished = self._resolve_one_iteration(targets, callback)
  File "/usr/share/bake/bake/Dependencies.py", line 381, in _resolve_one_iteration
    raise DependencyUnmet(i.dst())
============Message tail=============

From this I can't see clearly what could be the cause of the issue, so may be somebody here is more experienced to comprehend it.
I've already tried to change versions for both quagga and dce to earlier ones, with the exact same result.
I'm attaching outputs produced by different command mentioned above as a separate file to avoid clutter
quagga.txt

Tom Henderson

Apr 21, 2015, 5:26:59 PM4/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing that it is the missing libc6-dbg that causes this, since it
is not going to build without it, and since on another system, with that
same bake configuration, I am not seeing your error.

The output from your 'bake.py show' states:

> libc-debug - Missing
>> Didn't find: libc debug package; please install it.

This is often package libc6-dbg on apt-based systems, and
glibc-debuginfo on yum-based systems.

- Tom

neko neko

Apr 21, 2015, 7:31:58 PM4/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I thought about this, and I installed the package with apt-get, and I also tried to use "./bake.py download" command to fetch it, and in result directory "libc-debug" with contents was created under the "bake/source" too. But still for some reason it's marked as not found during build process.

neko neko

Apr 21, 2015, 7:55:32 PM4/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
It seems I disinformed you. libc-debug was actually created under bake/source directory, but it's empty. Though, I indeed installed libc6-dbg with apt-get, it's present in the system.

Tom Henderson

Apr 21, 2015, 8:00:08 PM4/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 04/21/2015 04:31 PM, neko neko wrote:
> Yes, I thought about this, and I installed the package with apt-get, and
> I also tried to use "./bake.py download" command to fetch it, and in
> result directory "libc-debug" with contents was created under the
> "bake/source" too. But still for some reason it's marked as not found
> during build process.

There is a clumsy way that bake presently finds this dependency. I'm
guessing now that this is the problem.

Can you tell me, is this a 32- or 64-bit system, which distribution, and
what is the output of 'ldd --version'?

- Tom

neko neko

Apr 22, 2015, 2:01:34 AM4/22/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Tom.

Thank you for continuous attempts to help me. The distribution is Kali (just simply have it configured, so using it for different projects which require linux as environment), x86.

ldd --vesrion returns:

ldd (Debian EGLIBC 2.13-38+deb7u8) 2.13
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.

Hajime Tazaki

Jun 21, 2015, 8:15:09 PM6/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

We haven't tested with Kali: we mostly tested with Ubuntu
families so it might some trouble with other.

Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
Ubuntu 12.04 32bit/64bit
Ubuntu 13.04 64bit
Ubuntu 14.04 64bit
Fedora 18 32bit
CentOS 6.2 64bit

for more detail of errors you faced, try to use "bake.py
build -vvv" instead. it's _a bit_ descriptive.

-- Hajime