Waf build takes too much time with VirtualBox

Sathyanarayanan Chandrasekharan

May 23, 2015, 10:13:52 PM5/23/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have an Ubuntu Guest OS installed on a Windows machine using VirtualBox latest release. I have allocated 4 GB of RAM to Ubuntu and I am trying to build the tutorial program with waf (Ns3.23 version is used) and it is taking somewhere around 1.5 minutes to build and run.

However, it takes far less time to build and run on a full machine (rather than  VirtualBox). Is there any way to speed this up?

Everyone else is facing the same issue? or I am the only one?

Regards,
Sathya
PhD Candidate
Wireless Communications

Sathyanarayanan Chandrasekharan

May 23, 2015, 11:42:44 PM5/23/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Solved! (with some headbanging for 3 hours)

The problem was that I was running ns3 from a shared folder from the Host OS to Guest OS. Once I copied the folder to the local drive, everything went smooth.

Admin: Its your call to keep this post or not. I believe it would be helpful for someone who struggles with the same issue (time saved = time gained).

Regards,
Sathya
PhD Candidate
Wireless Communications

Tommaso Pecorella

May 24, 2015, 2:30:20 AM5/24/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm glad you found the problem, and yes, the shared drives are very slow (like slow USB keys, network drives, etc.).

Cheers,

T.