How to find out the datarate corresponding to an MCS

PN

Aug 14, 2017, 11:06:51 PM8/14/17
to ns-3-users
I was wondering if there is any online documentation that states what is the wifi physical layer bit rate in ns 3 corresponding to a particular MCS. For instance, in the examples folder, there is an example script called wifi-tcp.cc. In this example script, the physical layer bit rate is set to a string value of HtMcs7. But I wanted to know what was the physical layer bit rate being set in ns 3 corresponding to HtMcs7 and lower MCSs.

I did check the wifi-phy module but could not find the actual numerical values. Not sure if I missed something.

For now, I'm referring to the wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_rates which states the table.

Another question is for wifi-tcp.cc, how do I find what channel width (20MHz or 40MHz) and guard interval values are being set in the script?

Thanks a lot. Your help is highly appreciated!

Marek Ciesla

Aug 16, 2017, 11:17:02 AM8/16/17
to ns-3-users
You can look into the wifi-spectrum-per-example file.
You can see there the datarate of all the Htmcs modes.

Regards.

Rediet

Aug 18, 2017, 10:17:59 AM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
Hello,

If you are looking for PHY layer data rates, you can also have a look a WifiMode::GetDataRate method which does precisely that.

Rediet

Cosmos

Aug 18, 2017, 10:58:00 PM8/18/17
to ns-3-users
Find the documents explaining all IEEE standards on IEEE explore. These documents include a detailed study on data rates vs MCS index.

PN

Aug 19, 2017, 6:13:44 PM8/19/17
to ns-3-users
Thanks guys. If I also wanted to print out what datarate was being set in my simulation, can anyone point me to any example file that has a code which does this?

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Sebastien Deronne

Aug 22, 2017, 7:55:24 AM8/22/17
to ns-3-users
Datarate is maybe not constant, it depends which rate manager you used, so it can change over time.