Which files are required to design a WSN (802.15.4)?

Adnan Quaium

Jan 16, 2016, 4:10:41 AM1/16/16
to ns-3-users

Dear all,

I am very much new to NS-3 (I do not have any prior knowledge of NS-2).  I am not a programmer but I've the basic knowledge of C++. With this background, I am trying to build a WSN (Wireless Sensor Network based on 802.15.4) using NS-3. I have started to learn NS-3 in recent days. I've read the tutorial thoroughly. I must admit that, I haven't understood all of it, but at least I got an idea about NS-3 and how it works. I believe, I'll learn the tutorial more and more by using NS-3 and by getting help from you guys. However, I've understood the three examples of the tutorials - first.cc, second.cc and third.cc.

I searched the web to build a WSN with NS-3, and found this conversation in this group. I tried to run the final code written by Moab Rodrigues de Jesus, and it works! Thank you Moab for helping me out. Now I am trying to understand Moab's code (hopefully I'll understand it). In that code, he has written that he had taken help from the following four files - wsn-ping6.cc, ping6.cc, example-ping-lr-wpan.cc and udp-echo.cc. I am assuming, there are more files like these, which will be helpful to design a WSN. Can anyone please suggest me, to design a WSN, which files of the NS-3 will be helpful/necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

AQ

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 16, 2016, 5:20:24 AM1/16/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

the examples you mentioned are (more or less) the ones specific to WSN you'll find. This is mostly because they are enough to give an... example (!) of the things that they are meant to show. E.g., example-ping-lr-wpan.cc shows how to use a ping6 over lr-wpan (802.15.4).
We prefer to have small examples showing particular things rather than complex examples showing a lot of stuff but confusing for the users.

Anyway, I'd suggest to study the examples you found, they are a very good starting point. Next, you should check what you want to have in your WSN (protocol wise). Not all the WSN use the same protocols and it's always good to know if everything is implemented or you need to add something.

Cheers,

T.

Adnan Quaium

Jan 17, 2016, 4:55:13 AM1/17/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

Thanks a lot Tommaso Pecorella for the reply. Right now, I am going through the example codes as you suggested. Hopefully will be returned shortly with lots of questions.

Regards
AQ

Adnan Quaium

Jan 19, 2016, 2:27:36 AM1/19/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me which protocols are currently defined for WSN in NS-3?

Regards
AQ

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 19, 2016, 4:22:52 AM1/19/16