Tace Files

Jakub Sphinx

Mar 26, 2015, 9:12:42 AM3/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everybody,

Is there any specific tools to deal with the Generated Trace Files, I am using some Perl and RegX and wondering if there are some more efficient tools.

I am extracting which nodes transmitted and from which it is received, and which node is receiving and who was the transmitter. Accumulating this to find out the PDR. Is it right thing to do ?

Regards
Jakub

Konstantinos

Mar 26, 2015, 9:19:35 AM3/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There is tracemetric (http://tracemetrics.net/) which is a Java based tool, but it does similar procedures with those you do. In addition it is based on the trace format of ns-3.14 which could potentially have changed, so it would require some updates.

However, you could use trace sources to generate your own trace files for TX/RX packets with simpler format and thus easier RegX. Or simply use those trace sources with the stats module to calculate your metrics within the simulation, not with post-processing.
Further, you could look at FlowMonitor class which can provide such statistics for unicast TCP/UDP traffic.

Jakub Sphinx

Mar 26, 2015, 9:54:44 AM3/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Than you Konstantinos, I appreciate your response. Would you be kind to guide me to the best examples in ns3 source where these kind of to calculate modules are illustrated.

Regards
Jakub

Konstantinos

Mar 26, 2015, 10:06:45 AM3/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
There is a section in the manual for data collection

Also in the tutorial about tracing

Examples are for stats module are in /examples/stats and /src/stats/examples

Jakub Sphinx

Mar 26, 2015, 10:10:05 AM3/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful.