Trace file for TCP

tina

Apr 4, 2016, 2:08:17 PM4/4/16
to ns-3-users

Hi all,
There is a UdpTraceClient class which is A trace based streamer and it is possible to SetTraceFile. I am trying to find something the same for Tcp. Do we have it? if yes, is it possible to use the same trace file (like what we use for  UdpTraceClient) for that or we have  a different Trace file?

Konstantinos

Apr 4, 2016, 2:27:15 PM4/4/16
to ns-3-users
Hi Tina,

No, it won't be the same for TCP as TCP is a byte-stream protocol that does not preserve packet boundaries.
That means your application may be possible to generate the packets based on the trace file, but TCP does not guarantee that they will be transmitted independently.
Some packets may be fragmented according to TCP MTU and also ACKs will be piggybacked. Packets may be re-transmitted etc.

Regards,
K.

tina

Apr 4, 2016, 3:25:39 PM4/4/16
to ns-3-users
Thanks for your reply. In fact i intend to use Tcp. Is there any module or class of Tcp for video streaming?