Question about scheduling algorithm and HCF function of wifi module

‍심후엽[ 대학원석사과정재학 / 전기전자공학과 ]

Mar 9, 2020, 10:18:44 PM3/9/20
to ns-3-users
Greetings,
This is Hoo-Yeop Shim studying Network at Korea University, South Korea.

After analyzing the regular-wifi-mac.cc file, I realized that each of the four Access categories has a queue if qos was supported. However, when trying to transmit the packet stored in four different queues through a wireless channel, it was not known which scheduling algorithm was applied. In my knowledge, algorithms like WFQ and WRR are most commonly used, and I'm wondering what kind of algorithms are applied to the Wi-Fi module and can change its settings.
In addition, I heard that the HCF function(HCCA, EDCA and so on) is being developed. After the development is complete, I wonder if the four different ACs of one STA will compete to independently access the wireless media, and if the HCCA function is implemented, how the AP will allocate polled TXOP to each STA.

Best regards,
Hoo-Yeop Shim.

Stefano Avallone

Mar 10, 2020, 5:36:13 AM3/10/20
to ns-3-users
Hi,

EDCA is supported in ns-3 since quite some time. Therefore, each Access Category attempts to access the channel independently and there is no centralized scheduler that pulls packets from EDCA queues. HCCA is not currently implemented and, to my knowledge, there is no plan for its support.

Bests,
Stefano

‍심후엽[ 대학원석사과정재학 / 전기전자공학과 ]

Mar 11, 2020, 1:12:18 AM3/11/20
to ns-3-users
The link above says:

 The following additional work is recommended (contributions from others are recommended); contact Sebastien to coordinate:
  • 802.11n/ac beamforming support
  • 802.11ac MU-MIMO support
  • 802.11 HCF/HCCA
  • Any other 802.11n/ac missing feature

So I thought in the future, 802.11 HCF / HCCA feature would be added to NS3. Thank you for your quick response. Have a nice day! Best regards, Hoo yeop