Questions about terminal commands

Brandon Perkins

Oct 7, 2014, 2:25:35 PM10/7/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
These are just some small details that aren't really clear to me in documentation or the tutorial.
1. Is there a distinct difference between the two commands:
./waf --build-profile=debug --out=build/debug configure
./waf configure --build-profile=debug --out=build/debug

In the tutorial, the first one was used for a bit in one situation, then in another situation the second one was used.

2. ./waf clean doesn't have to be called every time before I build a profile does it?

3. Everytime I make changes to some code (I'm using python), do I have to call:
./waf --build-profile=debug ....
./waf build
./waf --pyrun file.py
OR just
./waf build
./waf --pyrun file.py
OR just:
./waf --pyrun file.py
in order to update the build with the updated code?

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 7, 2014, 4:52:16 PM10/7/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

answers in line.

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:25:35 PM UTC+2, Brandon Perkins wrote:
These are just some small details that aren't really clear to me in documentation or the tutorial.
1. Is there a distinct difference between the two commands:
./waf --build-profile=debug --out=build/debug configure
./waf configure --build-profile=debug --out=build/debug

In the tutorial, the first one was used for a bit in one situation, then in another situation the second one was used.

It's a matter of personal preferences. The two commands are equivalent (only the order of the args is changed).

2. ./waf clean doesn't have to be called every time before I build a profile does it?

Of course not. It only needs to be issued when you want to... clean stuff. Usually you don't need it at all.

3. Everytime I make changes to some code (I'm using python), do I have to call:
./waf --build-profile=debug ....
./waf build
./waf --pyrun file.py
OR just
./waf build
./waf --pyrun file.py
OR just:
./waf --pyrun file.py
in order to update the build with the updated code?

the 3rd alternative is fine. the waf system takes care of building what's changed. The configuration doesn't need to be re-done, unless you want to change some details (e.g., the build profile).

One thing tho. If you use python for your script, you need to have the python bindings "done right". Usually you don't need to update the bindings, but there is one case where you need to do it: if you change the APIs of the modules (i.e., if you change some class interface in one module you use. In that case you have to use "./waf --apiscan=moduleName". In all the other cases, the provided python bindings are ok.

Cheers,

T.

Brandon Perkins

Oct 8, 2014, 9:34:50 AM10/8/14