Adaptive data transfer using UDP

Arun

Oct 3, 2017, 11:04:07 PM10/3/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,

I'm considering a simple network topology with two nodes using UDP protocol. The sender node has
X number of bytes to transfer in total to the receiver. I want to infuse the rate adaptation capability at
the sender based on the packet loss experienced by the receiver (packet retransmission isn't required
for the application I'm considering). To realize this, I'd like to have the receiver node send the loss
experienced (say, for example, every 100 packets) and then the sender adjusts its rate for the next
100 packets proportional to the loss.

The closest example I managed to find is in the examples/tutorial directory (a slightly modified version
of the On-Off application using TCP protocol): https://www.nsnam.org/doxygen/fifth_8cc_source.html.

I'd appreciate suggestions/pointers to examples for my implementation.

Thanks.

Konstantinos

Oct 4, 2017, 4:20:54 AM10/4/17
to ns-3-users
Hi

I will respond in the reverse order from your post:

- TCP sockets would automatically provide congestion control & re-transmissions (on a per segment).
Your description fits more on UDP with congestion control at application layer.

- The received can not send 'loss' information because it does not know how much it supposed to have received.
It could for example send notification that it received the 100th packet, but that could actually be the 110th packet that the sender sent.
The sender could compute then the loss rate and act accordingly.

- Note that losses could not be due to congestion, so the reduction of rate may not have an impact on the losses.

 Hope that helped