modify MAC and PHY to make UE has cognitive ability

hongyu deng

Jan 3, 2016, 10:21:05 AM1/3/16
to ns-3-users
Hi all,

Does UE's MAC and PHY can modify to achieve cognitive?
I want to come true that the UE has cognitive ability, and can choose the IDLE channel to transmit data.
Anybody has been change the MAC or PHY could give some advice? or any other advice.
Thanks.

Have fun,
Hongyu.

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 3, 2016, 3:33:14 PM1/3/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

any network system has a MAC and PHY, and every network interface is usually installed in an User Equipment (UE). As a consequence, it's impossible to be sure about the standard you're referring to.
Could you please be so kind to be more precise ? The answer is highly dependent on this information.

T.

hongyu deng

Jan 4, 2016, 1:25:37 AM1/4/16
to ns-3-users
Hi Tommaso,

Thanks for your answer.
I want to achieve the cognitive radio function in UE,it means that UE has cognitive ability, and can choose the IDLE channel to transmit data,in order to improve the spectrum utilization.

Is it can achieve in theory? From ns-3-model-library.pdf, I found that it is complicated.
But my work is to achieve that,  I want to have a try.
could you give some guidance?Thanks.

Cheer,
Hongyu.

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 4, 2016, 6:29:41 AM1/4/16
to ns-3-users
Hi Hongyu,

perhaps I wasn't clear enough. A "UE" can be a Wi-Fi, a LTE, or whatever-technology terminal.

Each technology has its own definition of "channel", and each one uses the spectrum in a different way.
You can't discuss about cognitive approaches without a precise knowledge of the technologies you want to consider and the interferences they will face.

As a consequence, I'd strongly suggest to first settle this point.
As far as how hard it can be, it (again) depends on the technology. It can be easy or very hard. Without further info I'd say that it will be hard.

T.

hongyu deng

Jan 4, 2016, 7:46:07 AM1/4/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tommaso,

I agree with you that it is very hard to come true .But i want to have a try.
I want to achieve it in LTE network, and the UE node has cognitive ability, it can select the idel channel and transmit data.
I read the source code and don't catch where the LTE  enb assign channel to UE,and i found it is so complicated for me...
any other advice?

Cheers,
Hongyu.

Have fun,
HongYu.

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 4, 2016, 2:13:17 PM1/4/16
to ns-3-users
Yes, one advice: study the LTE standard first.

LTE user equipments don't choose their channels, it's the eNB that is assigning channels to them. The UE doesn't need to choose the channel, unless in very particular cases (some forms of LTE D2D if I remember right). However, I'm quite confident that LTE D2D isn't implemented yet in ns-3 so...

Anyway, fist check the standard and identify where and how a UE should choose its channel, and if there's room for a cognitive approach. As a side note, I wouldn't call it cognitive... do a literature scan about what's defined as cognitive and you'll discover why I wouldn't call it cognitive.

Cheers,

T.

hongyu deng

Jan 5, 2016, 9:04:54 AM1/5/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much Tommaso.
I will have a try.
Do you know where the Enb assigns channel to UE in source code.I can't found that.

Have fun,
HongYu.

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 5, 2016, 9:15:50 AM1/5/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

I'm deeply sorry but this is the last time I'll mention this point. You seems to not have the necessary understanding of the LTE standard. You will not find what you are looking for until you will have a clear idea of what a "channel" is in LTE, and here is not the right place to have a lecture on this topic.
Please get a good book, or any online document, to clarify your ideas on how LTE assign resources (not channels, resources) to UEs. Then, and only then, you will be able to understand the code. You can not possibly do the opposite.

T.

hongyu deng

Jan 5, 2016, 9:38:10 AM1/5/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your advice and patience Tommaso.

Cheers,
Hongyu.

Have fun,
HongYu.