lena-simple-epc.cc script shows no packet loss for very large distances

Francisco Andrade

May 15, 2019, 9:03:01 PM5/15/19
to ns-3-users
Hi all,

I am conducting a study to determine how distance influences packet loss on an LTE network. For that, I used the script "lena-simple-epc.cc" that can be found at "src/lte/examples", adding just some lines that allowed me to serialize a file with FlowMonitor.

Surprisingly, I found that even for very large distances like 50000m, LTE shows no packet loss.

I am not experienced with the LTE module. Isn't FlowMonitor a valid method to obtain packet loss or is this a bug on ns-3? I have also noticed that the stats files generated by "enableTraces" show no packet loss.

I am attaching both the file I used as a script and the .xml obtained for a distance of 50000m.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,
Francisco

lena-simple-epc
lena-simple-epc.cc

Tommaso Zugno

May 21, 2019, 3:47:21 AM5/21/19
to ns-3-users
Hi,

This code creates "numNodePairs" (UE, eNB) pairs and assigns the same position to the nodes belonging to the same pair. The "distance" parameter refers to the distance between two pairs, which does not affect the performance since each UE is attached to the eNB belonging to the same pair. You should increase the distance between UE and eNB of each pair to see some differences.

Best,
Tommaso