WiMAX model causing crashes (on ns3.20)

jmat...@dius.com.au

Jul 29, 2014, 12:59:41 AM7/29/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm working on setting up a WiMAX simulation, but am running into crashes (by which I "terminated with signal SIGIOT"). After debugging this for quite some time, the issue appears to be in the deserialization of headers. The WiMAX model appears to be playing loose and fast with the packet headers unfortunately, and gets it wrong.

To see this, simply use the wimax-simple.cc example, and add the line "Packet::EnableChecking()" at the top of main(). You then get this:

Waf: Leaving directory `/tmp/ns-allinone-3.20/ns-3.20/build'
'build' finished successfully (1.966s)
msg="Removing unexpected header.", file=../src/network/model/packet-metadata.cc, line=702
terminate called without an active exception
Command ['/tmp/ns-allinone-3.20/ns-3.20/build/scratch/wimax-simple'] terminated with signal SIGIOT. Run it under a debugger to get more information (./waf --run <program> --command-template="gdb --args %s <args>").

This is effectively the same thing which happens when I get a crash in my simulation, the only difference being that the header mismatch isn't caught before the DSARSP is attempted to be deserialized. Adding Packet::EnableChecking() does yield the above result.

I'm at a loss for how to proceed here, as I don't have enough in-depth knowledge to work out what's happening with the various headers throughout the WiMAX model. I found one single post in this group referring to this issue, but with no resolution. It's my hope that by providing an easily reproducible test case (i.e. just add Packet::EnableChecking() to wimax-simple.cc) someone here might be able to help resolve this.

Many thanks in advance,
/Johny