create a switched ethernet network

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 10, 2016, 7:01:55 AM10/10/16
to ns-3-users
Hello everyone,
Is it possible to create a topology as shown below in NS3? ie,can i create an Ethernet switch in NS3 out-of-the-box?

Node------------

Node----------Ethernet Switch

Node------------

Regards
Subin

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 10, 2016, 9:41:16 AM10/10/16
to ns-3-users
Can I  create a network switch to which all nodes are connected in NS3?

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 10, 2016, 2:01:17 PM10/10/16
to ns-3-users
Yes, but not with the "plain" ns-3. A new module has been proposed but it has not (yet) been reviewed.

T.

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 10, 2016, 2:04:03 PM10/10/16
to ns-3-users
Oh, forgot...

Do NOT bump your requests after 2 hours again.
We believe that patience is a virtue, and if we feel again that you're impatient, we'll teach you to be patient by not replying to your questions. I hope you'll get the subtle hint.

T.

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 10, 2016, 2:51:05 PM10/10/16
to ns-3-users
Dear Tommaso,
Thank you for your reply.First of all sorry for repeating the question,I thought of making a clarification about the my question.

I have a doubt regarding your reply.

Has that module developed or in the development stage?Where can I find out that module(in NS3 dev page)?

OR

Would it be possible for me to use BrigeNetdevice to realise ethernet switch?Because I have seen that you replied to one of the questions in the group as follows,
Bridge/Switch: it's implemented by the BridgeNetDevice. It works... like a bridge (and like a switch).

Regards
Subin Joseph

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 10, 2016, 7:05:10 PM10/10/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

the Bridge module is mimicking a switch. It is auto-learning the MAC/port pairs and it is able to switch the packets in the right output port.
Eventual internal packet collisions are handled by the output NetDevices.

The actual limitation could be in the csma (or point to point) net devices. We discussed this a lot and I'm sure you'll find the treads.

T.