ns-3 and SOCIS 2014

Tommaso Pecorella

May 1, 2014, 9:06:39 AM5/1/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

as you may know, we applied to SOCIS, which is a program very similar to GSoC, only focused on space themes and founded by ESA (the European Space Agency).

For the second year, we have been selected as a mentoring organization, so.... applications are open !

Of course, as for GSoC, ideas may be also proposed by students.

We hope to have good application this year as well, like we had last year.

Just one thing. Since SOCIS is sponsored by ESA, there are some restrictions on the students applications. Due to the funding scheme, only students from some counties may apply. Please consult the SOCIS website to have full details.

Cheers,

T.

Tommaso Pecorella

May 1, 2014, 9:58:45 AM5/1/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

a bit more infos about SOCIS 2014, as my earlier message was a cute example of synthesis.

SOCIS - what it is.
SOCIS stands for ESA Summer of Code in Space, and it is very close to Google Summer of Code.
Students can propose projects to mentoring organizations (Orgs), ESA is handling slots to Orgs, etc. Students are founded (just like in GSoC, just a bit less) for their project upon passing the mid-term and final evaluations.
The main differences are:
1) SOCIS is a smaller project as a whole (less student slots, less Orgs).
2) The coding period is 3 months (Jun-Jul-Aug)
3) Projects have to be space-oriented (obvious, it's ESA)
4) There are restrictions on the counties a student is *enrolled* in. Meaning, the student's nationality doesn't matter. What it count is where the student is studying. See SOCIS FAQ and this e-mail thread:

ns-3 SOCIS - who's the Org admin.
I am the ns-3 Org admin for SOCIS. Please don't hesitate to poke me for any question.
Note: SOCIS doesn't require a backup admin, but if someone wanna help... I don't mind at all :)

ns-3 SOCIS - Students selection process.
We will apply the GSoC selection process in SOCIS as well, as it has been proven to be effective.
SOCIS does have a student application form similar to GSoC. Students will have to follow the SOCIS form, but we may request further informations. A proposal skeleton will be placed in the ns-3 wiki as soon as possible.

The selection process (much like in GSoC) will involve all the potential mentors, plus any kind volunteer in the ns-3 devs community.

If anyone have questions about SOCIS in general, there's a SOCIS mailing list:

For questions specific to ns-3 and SOCIS, feel free to ask here or poke me directly.

Cheers,

T.

Tommaso Pecorella

May 5, 2014, 3:52:51 AM5/5/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

this is just a reminder that the SOCIS students application deadline is in 10 days.

The student's application form is located here:

The form is quite simple, and it's very self-explicative. About the proposals, we expect the applicant to explain the following points:
  1. Expand the idea contained in the SOCIS ns-3 ideas (or propose your own).
  2. Explain how you plan to carry out the task, and in particular:
    1. Rough idea of the classes / methods / APIs, to be developed (doesn't need to be precise and can be changed during the project)
    2. Development timeline
    3. Backup plans (if any)
Remember that any proposal should have some mandatory elements: documentation, examples, and tests (beside the main part, of course).

Moreover, ns-3 knowledge will be an evaluation criteria, so having fixed a bug, community interaction, etc. is highly considered

For any doubt / question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

T.

Tommaso Pecorella

May 11, 2014, 8:31:45 AM5/11/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

this is just a reminder that the SOCIS students application deadline is in 4 days.

As usual, feel free to bug me for any question.

Cheers,

T.