Regarding implementation of routing metric in multi channel wmn in ns3

Pooja R Bhat

Oct 5, 2014, 1:08:35 PM10/5/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am new to ns3 .I am trying to implement a project in ns3 where in i have to change the existing HWMP protocol's routing metric i.e hopcount to a more interference aware and cognitive information aware routing metric. Also this has to work in multi channel multi radio wmn. My question was

1) How do i go about implementing a multi radio multi channel wmn
2) what steps must be taken to change the routing metric of the protocol

it would help me tremendously if anyone could give me pointers on how i go about doing this project in ns3

Thank you

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 5, 2014, 5:03:16 PM10/5/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

in 2 questions you have (basically) synthesized your whole project. A rephrasing could be "how to start and how to end".
Mind to be a bit more specific? You didn't even state if you know ns-3 already or not...

Cheers,

T.

Pooja R Bhat

Oct 6, 2014, 10:03:59 AM10/6/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Yeah so i am quite new to ns3 i havent done extensive work on it. But i have experimented by implementing a small program where in each node is attached with a single radio having two interfaces. But i am not sure whether that accounts for multi channel. I would really like some help on how i go about modifying a routing metric because i haven't really got a clue about that

Thanks in advance

Pooja R Bhat

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 6, 2014, 10:54:59 AM10/6/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

it may count or it may not count. It depends on what you did (and if your nodes actually used both interfaces!).
My suggestion is to study HWMP and to find where the routing decision is taken. Honestly, I can't help much as I'm not one of the HWMP authors/maintainers. However studying the code will help for sure.

Hope this helps,

T.

Silvio Sampaio

Oct 6, 2014, 11:02:15 AM10/6/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Pooja R Bhat,

Take a look at the Airtime Link Metric (ALM) implementation in the files:
src/mesh/dot11s/airtime-metric.h
src/mesh/dot11s/airtime-metric.cc

Here is defined a method to compute the ALM:

uint32_t AirtimeLinkMetricCalculator::CalculateMetric (Mac48Address peerAddress, Ptr<MeshWifiInterfaceMac> mac);

To get all togheter it is linked to the HWMP (using the proper callback) in the Install method:

 //Installing airtime link metric:
 Ptr<AirtimeLinkMetricCalculator> metric = CreateObject <AirtimeLinkMetricCalculator> ();
 mac->SetLinkMetricCallback (MakeCallback (&AirtimeLinkMetricCalculator::CalculateMetric, metric));

In summary, you must to implement your metric computation according to the ALM (including a sort of CalculateMetric method) and link it to the HWMP.

I hope it helps you.

Regards,

Silvio Sampaio

Pooja R Bhat

Oct 6, 2014, 11:22:05 AM10/6/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information regarding the metric information..

And that multi channel implementation, i did assign the channel numbers to those interfaces manually but since packetmetadata doesn't work in wmn i coudn't check out what exactly is happening. If you have any alternative ideas on how to go about a multi radio multi channel environment, I would really appreciate

Thanks again in advance

Silvio Sampaio

Oct 6, 2014, 12:19:06 PM10/6/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Although the dot11s implementation provides methods to change the channel of a mesh station, I am not aware of any mechanism for channel switching, which is mandatory for MIMC deployments. Therefore, you've must to implement it.

But I can be wrong! :)

Pooja R Bhat

Oct 6, 2014, 12:50:25 PM10/6/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry again for asking but how to change the channel of the mesh station according to dot11s?