Feasibility of Simulating GPON Protocols or Adapting the NS-3 XG-PON Module for GPON Validation

11 views
Skip to first unread message

abdelahed adel

unread,
Sep 21, 2026, 7:19:35 PMSep 21
to ns-3-users

Hi NS-3 Community,

I am working on evaluating Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation (DBA) algorithms for PON networks. My primary goal is to perform simulations for GPON, but I am aware that there is no dedicated or official open-source GPON module available in NS-3.

I know that the NS-3 XG-PON module (Wu / Arokkiam et al.) can be tuned at the PHY layer (data rates) to approximate GPON performance, but structurally, the framing and addressing fields (Alloc-ID and GEM Port-ID ranges) remain based on XG-PON (G.987.3) rather than GPON (G.984.3).

I would like to ask the community:

  1. Has anyone developed or come across a public/community extension or patch for NS-3 that models standard-accurate GPON (G.984.3)?

  2. If using the XG-PON module as an approximation is the only viable path in NS-3, what are the best practices for validating DBA logic (like GIANT or Round Robin) under GPON speed parameters without causing protocol mismatch issues?

Any insights, recommendations, or references to existing repositories would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! AbdelAhed

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages