AODV over lr-wpan

Barbaros Ozcan

Jan 5, 2015, 9:31:27 AM1/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I want to implement AODV protocol over 802.15.4 in my simulation. I tried lr-wpan code, however, I could not succeeded.

As mentioned below, "the current lr-wpan model isn't able to support IPv4",

and "The AODV model is for IPv4 only."

and the code block is below;
"AodvHelper aodv;
 InternetStackHelper stack;
 stack.SetRoutingHelper (aodv); // has effect on the next Install ()
 stack.Install (nodes);"

Is there a progress going on in lr-wpan module about internet stack? Any suggestion about implementing AODV over lr-wpan?

Thanks for the help.

Konstantinos

Jan 5, 2015, 9:39:51 AM1/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barbaros,

As you have already found, AODV implementation in NS-3 is only IPv4. You will need to create a new AODV for IPv6. That would include the conversion of all IPv4 to IPv6 and corresponding packet formats (serialization/deserialization of them).
That's because lr-wpan can be used with IP network with the help of 6lowpan which is for IPv6.

Regards,
K.

Barbaros Ozcan

Jan 5, 2015, 9:48:20 AM1/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I also found that;

"6LoWPAN model precedes the 802.15.4 model. As a consequence, the 6LoWPAN examples are based on wired (csma) NetDevices."

here;

I want to work on wireless devices, so what does that mean?

Konstantinos

Jan 5, 2015, 9:58:12 AM1/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
The examples are based on CSMA since there was not 802.15.4 at that time, but the model is not limited on that. You can use lr-wap as NetDevice.

Barbaros Ozcan

Jan 5, 2015, 10:20:24 AM1/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot, i will try.

Barbaros Ozcan

Feb 24, 2015, 5:19:24 AM2/24/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Konstantinos ,

I anything wrong with this code? I have created ipv6 version of the aodv code.
How should I integrate it with lr-wpan/sixlowpan?

  AodvHelper aodv;
  InternetStackHelper internetv6;
  internetv6.SetRoutingHelper (aodv);
  internetv6.Install (nodes);

  SixLowPanHelper sixlowpan;
  NetDeviceContainer devices = sixlowpan.Install (lrwpanDevices);

  Ipv6AddressHelper ipv6;
  ipv6.SetBase (Ipv6Address ("2001:2::"), Ipv6Prefix (64));
  Ipv6InterfaceContainer deviceInterfaces;
  deviceInterfaces = ipv6.Assign (devices);

I don't get any errors, however I think there is a problem with NDP (ARP equivalent).
As I see from wireshark, there is no Neighbor Adverstisement reply for Neighbor Solicitation packets.
I see them for the example in sixlowpan/example-ping-lr-wpan.

Konstantinos

Feb 24, 2015, 5:25:12 AM2/24/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Current AODV implementation in NS3 does not work with IPv6.
Message has been deleted

teo.ma...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2015, 1:05:26 PM3/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am really interesting about this topic.

I need to implement a scenario like this:

4  802.15.4 nodes (lr-wpan) and try AODV with IPv4. Moreover I wish to use 868MHz (channel 0).

Is it possible?
Following the example/test inside model I can manage 4 nodes, but I really don't know where I can put my hand to change the channel.
I tried to associate the 4 nodes with ipv4, but I triggered an error. is it standard because I can't exploit lr-wpan with ipv4?

Thanks to help me

Konstantinos

Mar 4, 2015, 1:10:51 PM3/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
No, it is not possible without major modifications.
It is explained why in the first reply. lr-wpan only works with IPv6 and AODV implementation in NS-3 currently supports only IPv4.

Barbaros Ozcan

Mar 6, 2015, 9:38:15 AM3/6/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Will AODV work if I convert the code into ipv6 version myself (including conversion of all IPv4 to IPv6 and corresponding packet formats (serialization/deserialization of them))?

Do I need more of that? Do I need more modifications beyond it in sixlowpan code?

Konstantinos

Mar 6, 2015, 9:57:26 AM3/6/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
No, as far as I know, you would not need something else.

Barbaros Ozcan

Mar 9, 2015, 5:26:15 AM3/9/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I am going through example-ping-lr-wpan code. It works perfect without aodv, which routing protocol does it use?

In order to change it to aodv, I don't know how to change that code.

On the other hand, does this post related to my question?

Konstantinos

Mar 9, 2015, 5:59:09 AM3/9/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
See answers inline

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 9:26:15 AM UTC, Barbaros Ozcan wrote:
Ok. I am going through example-ping-lr-wpan code. It works perfect without aodv, which routing protocol does it use?

For this particular example, no actual routing is required. The default routing protocols (Static/Global) are installed with the Internet stack helper, however without setting any specific route or populating the GlobalRouting tables. Only 2 nodes exists within the communication range and the ping packets are broadcasted. It is not a multi-hop scenario that would require actual routing.

In order to change it to aodv, I don't know how to change that code.

Study the tutorial and the examples. Setting up a routing protocol is the same for any type of netdevice (lr-wpan, wifi, lte)

On the other hand, does this post related to my question?

No. LOAD is another distance vector L2-routing protocol to be used with 6lowpan. It is not AODV, so it does not relate to your question.
If you want to use AODV, you need to modify it to carry IPv6 packets.

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 5, 2015, 9:56:07 AM1/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting, I clarified the sentence.

What does it means for you ? Nothing. It is an historical note explaining why the 6LoWPAN examples are based on CSMA.

T.

Gonçalo Atanásio

Jun 16, 2016, 3:37:10 AM6/16/16
to ns-3-users
Hi, I am trying to implement dsdv over Lr-wpan. Is it possible? Is still not compatible? Do I have to modify dsdv to ipv6?

Thanks

Konstantinos

Jun 16, 2016, 3:53:55 AM6/16/16
to ns-3-users
The same reply wrt to IP versions for AODV is relevant also for DSDV.
You need to implement a v6 version of DSDV.

Gonçalo Atanásio

Jun 16, 2016, 4:17:35 AM6/16/16
to ns-3-users
OK, thanks. But I will have to use lrwpan+sixlowpan+dsdv right?

Konstantinos

Jun 16, 2016, 4:21:55 AM6/16/16
to ns-3-users
Yes, in order to use IP traffic over LRWPAN you need the 6LowPan.

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 16, 2016, 5:50:00 AM6/16/16
to ns-3-users
And yes, you need to extend dddv to IPv6.

T.

Gonçalo Atanásio

Jun 16, 2016, 10:09:38 AM6/16/16
to ns-3-users
I know you have been working on RPL, is there any functional implementation that you can provide, with the most basic elements?

Best regards

Message has been deleted