Where to implement a cluster based algorithm in NS3

Francisco Eduardo Balart Sanchez

May 23, 2017, 5:47:20 PM5/23/17
to ns-3-users
Good day:

Tomasso and Konstantinos...

I already have a self-organized cluster-based algorithm:
My "Philosofical" question is "where" to implemented in NS3
This is the first half of my cross-layer solution meaning.
The cluster algorithm will provide the wireless network structure in which the routing algorithm will run
therefore my questino is

¿Where to put it?, making the relaitonship with the NS3 architecture and OSI layer
  • i could implement it on the MAC layer and use it to make the neighbor discovery and clustering
    • This would be challenging sin MAC ALWAYs need to send any packet incoming from WIFI net device
    • Therefore i would need to implement some kind of doRun in MAC without disturbing its main function
  • I could implement it on the Wifi Net Device as done in the project WAVE from which i can use the MAC to the neighbor discovery and clustering

In my codes i will only get to create wifi net devices, right now i want to test the clustering scheme, so i will work with Wifi Net Devices which have anything i need to create a manet, the phy and mac.

I already reviewed part of the thread of:

And the paper and code in

 therefore i would like to know what would be a good starting point.

I hope i explained the best i could my "problem" which is really a question of implementation and have the point of view from you guys the experts and developers of NS3 arch

Konstantinos

May 24, 2017, 5:17:10 AM5/24/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,

It is your design on where you want to do the clustering, it has nothing to do with the ns-3 implementation.
After you decide how and where you want to perform the cluster mechanism, you go about and implement it.

Each option may have pros/cons and you should analyse them during the design process.

Regards,

Francisco Eduardo Balart Sanchez

May 24, 2017, 1:38:58 PM5/24/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response konstantinos, i think i didn't explained fully when talking in terms of the ns-3 implementation.

The existing AODV algorithm existing in NS3 will run on the network "seen" by the AODV meaning it will maitain its two neighbor tables such as:

RoutingTable m_routingTable;
And
Neighbors m_nb;

Therefore the network structure is critical for the AODV performance, so my question would be then:

¿Can i implement my clustering algorithm either as a MAC and as a WFD (wifi net device) and regardless where implement it
it will be completely "transparent" to the AODV?

Since my clustering scheme will have hierarchies and will not allow lower hierarchies nodes to talk to each other, therefore the  network "seen" by the AODV will be different:

example without clustering scheme:

With the AODV the node 2 will "see" due to the network structure to the node 1, 3 and 4
With the clustering scheme the AODV node 2 neighbor only will see node 4

node 1 --- \
node 2 -------node 4
  |                /
  |               /
node 3-----/

I hope i clarified my question, at the end the  implementation in either WND or MAC i want it to be transparent to AODV so when it run over my clustering scheme it really "see" the network structure provided by the lower layer such as MAC or Wifi NEt Device (by LLC)

Thanks in advance and best regards

Onurhan Yalçın

Jul 22, 2019, 9:21:17 AM7/22/19
to ns-3-users
Hello Mr.Konstantinos,

I can't reach you. can you send me the codes please?