data collector

Lincy Elizebeth Jim

Jun 3, 2015, 6:08:17 AM6/3/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I would like to study data collector in examples/stats(wifi-example-sim.cc) I am using ns-3.23
i got the following results
run run-1433324459
attr experiment "wifi-distance-test"
attr strategy "wifi-default"
attr measurement "50"
attr description ""
attr "author" "tjkopena"

scalar . measurement "50"
scalar . "author" "tjkopena"
scalar node[0] wifi-tx-frames 31
scalar node[1] wifi-rx-frames 31
scalar node[0] sender-tx-packets 30 // my question -can i use this for aodv as well
scalar node[1] receiver-rx-packets 30//can i use this for aodv as well
statistic node[0] tx-pkt-size
field count 30
field sum 1920
field mean 64
field min 64
field max 64
field sqrsum 122880
field stddev 0
scalar . delay-count 30
scalar . delay-total 8878312
scalar . delay-average 295943
scalar . delay-max 4629498
scalar . delay-min 108166

I would like to know more about what the fields stand for ,I read it deals with collecting statistics of the size of the packet so does 1920 stand for sum of the size of packets received?
Similarly for delay .count 30 i am not able to follow this
can i incorporate the same in aodv.cc

Is this the method to achieve statistical confidence of a routing protocol

kindly guide me

thanking in advance

regards
Lincy Elizebeth Jim

Konstantinos

Jun 3, 2015, 6:30:00 AM6/3/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, lin...@gmail.com
HI Lincy,

The "count" represents the number of samples used for the calculation, either in packet size or delay.
The "sum" or "total" represents the accumulated sum of the metric you have. You could simply do the calculations yourself, i.e. 30 packets with mean 64bytes = total 1920.
Then you also have "min" and "max"  and other statistics such as std. deviation.

Please study what statistical confidence means (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_interval).

Lincy Jim

Jun 3, 2015, 6:39:57 AM6/3/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Konstantinos,

Thank  you very much for your reply.I am able to follow count in packet context  ie number of packets but count of delay --: number of delay?
I will study about statistical confidence from the link you gave .Thanks a lot for the link.

My understanding about statistical confidence  was  to generate results for a routing protocol with different seed value

ie SeedManager::SetSeed(i)  where i would be varied from 1 to 10

an in each seed i get  a certain result  eg.packet delivered
then I take the average of that packet delivered for each seed and this would give me the statistical confidence of a protocol in terms of packet delivered.Am I wrong?

Kindly guide me

thanking in advance

regards

Lincy Eilzebeth Jim

Konstantinos

Jun 3, 2015, 7:31:27 AM6/3/15

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 11:39:57 AM UTC+1, Lincy Elizebeth Jim wrote:
Hi Konstantinos,

Thank  you very much for your reply.I am able to follow count in packet context  ie number of packets but count of delay --: number of delay?
I will study about statistical confidence from the link you gave .Thanks a lot for the link.

The count in delay is again how many packets/samples are considered in the delay calculations.

My understanding about statistical confidence  was  to generate results for a routing protocol with different seed value

ie SeedManager::SetSeed(i)  where i would be varied from 1 to 10

I would recommend to keep the seed the same and change the run number as explained in the manual

an in each seed i get  a certain result  eg.packet delivered
then I take the average of that packet delivered for each seed and this would give me the statistical confidence of a protocol in terms of packet delivered.Am I wrong?

That's slightly wrong. Yes you will run several times and you will get the average but that's not the statistical confidence. Study the link for statistical interval I provided, and/or search the internet for more details, to see how you get the statistical confidence.
Simply put, the average is a single value e.g. for delay you could get an average value of 10ms. The confidence interval will give you how this changes i.e. 10ms +/- 1ms.

Lincy Jim

Jun 3, 2015, 7:59:15 AM6/3/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Konstantinos

Thanks  a lot again for guiding me . I  willl try the stats in aodv.cc and post any doubts for the same as a new topic.

regards

Lincy Elizebeth Jim

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.