generating realistic Internet traffic in NS-3

Sara Asgari

Jan 24, 2018, 3:49:05 AM1/24/18
to ns-3-users
i want to simulate a network in ns-3 and i want the traffic in this network be the real traffic. i find this article . this tool is based on PPBP ( PPBP models the internet traffic) but i am really confusing. this model only discuss about bit rate , ... but don't discuss about kinds of traffic ( http , ftp , smtp ,... ) . a real network traffic is combinations of http traffic , icmp traffic , ftp traffic , ... but this model don't discuss about this. so how we say this model the real network traffic? i think if i use this article i don't have real network traffic

Konstantinos

Jan 24, 2018, 4:33:07 PM1/24/18
to ns-3-users
Hi,

HTTP, FTP and the rest are types of applications with different traffic characteristics.
I haven't read the paper in full, but simply citing the conclusions it makes "This traffic model is both a simple and accurate way for representing the aggregation of network traffic as it performs to capture the Long Range Dependence (LRD) exhibited by Internet traffic."
Simply put, the model aggregates ALL types of traffic, be it HTTP or FTP etc that could exist in the network.