FlowMonitor in combination with OLSR gives wrong amount of TxPackets

Hendrik Depauw

Feb 28, 2018, 2:42:35 PM2/28/18
to ns-3-users
Hi everyone

I'm currently working on MANETs and discovered an inconsistency with the FlowMonitor.
My code is attached and is an adjusted version of the manet-routing-compare example.

I have two ways of measuring the amount of rx and tx packets.
Firstly using the FlowMonitor, and secondly using my own callbacks with a tracesource on the OnOffApplication at the sender side and the PacketSink at the receiver side.

When using AODV or DSDV the numbers are equal, but when using OLSR as a routing protocol the amount of sent packets differs.
For some reason, when using OLSR, FlowMonitor does not seem to capture all packets that are sent over the network.

You can very this behaviour by running the script with '--protocol=1' (OLSR) and '--protocol=2' (AODV).
This will output 2 files, my-adhoc_metrics.xml (based on my tracesources) and my-adhoc_flows.xml (FlowMonitor output).

Can anyone explain this difference?

Thanks in advance
Hendrik Depauw
my-adhoc.cc

Tommaso Pecorella

Mar 3, 2018, 11:50:53 PM3/3/18
to ns-3-users
Flowmonitor discards packets sent to broadcast addresses.

T.

Hendrik Depauw

Mar 4, 2018, 5:10:17 AM3/4/18
to ns-3-users
Yes I am aware of that.
However in this case it is not about broadcasted packets as far as I know.
All I am measuring are packets leaving the application, and these packets are never broadcasted.
They do appear in the FlowMonitor when using for example AODV as a routing protocol.