increase DataRate for TcpSocketFactory will lead to packet loss

lxdjame...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 10:40:52 PM4/9/18
to ns-3-users
My program is based on fifth.cc in the tutorial. There are two nodes in the WIFI environment and one is sending packets to the other using TcpSocketFactory. The initial value of DataRate is "1Mbps". But if I increase it to 5Mbps, there will be several packets loss. I think this does not make sense since 5Mbps is still a quite small value. Then in the tutorial, I noticed there is a note "The data rate of an Application is just that. It has nothing to do with the data rate of an underlying Channel. This is the rate at which the Application produces bits. It does not take into account any overhead for the various protocols or channels that it uses to transport the data. If you set the data rate of an Application to the same data rate as your underlying Channel you will eventually get a buffer overflow". So is it reasonable to have packet loss here? Or there is something wrong with my code. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,
script.cc

Rediet

Apr 10, 2018, 2:26:14 AM4/10/18
to ns-3-users
Hello,

Not sure whether it's the only bottleneck but you haven't configured the data rate (or MCS) to be used by the ConstantRateWifiManager. It'll thus use the default 6Mbps of the default 11a standard. Considering that you have some overhead to account for at all layers in between your app and the PHY layer, you'll end up having some dropped packets somewhere in the line.

BR,

Rediet

lxdjame...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2018, 10:14:15 PM4/20/18
to ns-3-users
Hi Rediet,

Thanks for your help. The real data rate of our experiments is 800mbps. However, but the highest data rate for DataMode that I found is "OfdmRate54Mbps". How can I set it to 800mbps? Thank you.
在 2018年4月10日星期二 UTC-4上午2:26:14,Rediet写道: