Issue with communication between nodes of topology

Ubaid ur Rahman

Oct 27, 2015, 10:14:07 AM10/27/15
to ns-3-users
Hello!

I am trying to build a star topology, with a layer 3 switch. I am able to build the topology also confirmed its creation in NetAnim. When I tried to test the topology, with UdpEcho and OnOff + PacketSink applications, communication fails, If I install PacketSink or UdpEchoServer on the node other than the last one of NodeContainer. It is successfull if both of these applications are installed on the last node, and client on any other node.

Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I have attached the source file.

Change the numbers of variables "s and c" to see what I am talking about. I added the Ipv4GlobalRoutingHelper::PopulateRoutingTables() just in case the switch forward packet to its destination using IP address. But I don't think this is of any use, since all nodes belong to same broadcast domain.

Thanks in advance.
first.cc

Konstantinos

Oct 27, 2015, 11:55:07 AM10/27/15
to ns-3-users
Hi Ubaid,

I haven't heard before a L3 switch. If it is a L3 then it is a router.
What is wrong with your scenario is that you assume that in the star topology all leaves are in the same subnet.
When you use p2p links, you should create new subnet otherwise the routing would not work properly.
In your scenario after you have assigned a pair just create a new subnet.
Ipv4InterfaceContainer link = address.Assign(devices);
address.NewNetwork();

Regards,
K.

Ubaid ur Rahman

Oct 27, 2015, 1:07:21 PM10/27/15
to ns-3-users
Thank you for correcting me! There is no implementation of L3 Switch (similar to Cisco Packet Tracer) if it is L3 its a router. Worked fine!