RPL and WSN - news and updates

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 16, 2014, 5:47:28 PM6/16/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

with the ns-3.20 release approaching, it's time to summarize the WSN protocols progress in ns-3.

PHY-MAC layer: the 802.15.4 standard is implemented by the lr-wpan module. Please check the documentation for current limitations.
Please, it's not the usual "read the EULA", where you click yes without reading. In this case reading the docs is important.

IPv6 and adaptation layers: the sixlowpan module is working alongside with lr-wpan. As a result, IPv6 works with lr-wpan flawlessly. 6LoWPAN-ND is not implemented (yet).

Routing: there is no WSN-specific routing protocol in ns-3.20. The RIPng protocol (i.e., RIP for IPv6) is available, but it is not meant to be used in WSN. It may work, but it is NOT meant to be used in WSN.
The logical alternatives are: CTP and RPL.

I can speak for RPL, but I know there's a CTP implementation around.

RPL: I am testing it. In particular I am trying to have a stable enough code subset. The implementation is still too untested and too much changing to be released to the general public. When I'll be able to have a decent enough subset, I'll release it.
Mind that this does not mean that the APIs will not change dramatically in the future. They WILL. However, it seems that there are too many requests to not release a pre-pre-preview.

CTP: I have to speak with the authors. They may have copyright issues.

Please stay tuned and rest assured that, when RPL alpha will be released, I'll post an announcement.

Thanks,

T.

Raghavan S

Jun 20, 2014, 7:20:47 PM6/20/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tommaso,

I'm currently working on developing a co-existence model for Wifi (Wifi) and 802.15.4 using (lr-wpan).
I wanted to know exactly, as to how I could use a common channel to add both kinds of net devices in ns3, since they are modelled using different channel implementations.
Does ns3 support heterogeneous wireless coexistence inherently?

Thanks in advance for your help!.

Regards,
Raghavan

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 21, 2014, 5:12:32 AM6/21/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

you can model the mutual interference, but you'd need to fix one major and one minor things.
1) minor thing: lr-wpan uses a SingleModelSpectrumChannel, and a MultiModelSpectrumChannel is needed for mixed-standard interference.
2) major thing: wifi actually does not use the spectrum model. In order to model the mutual interference, this should be fixed.

The 2nd point is really a major point, as it could require a lot of changes in the wifi model, some of them being actually quite subtle.
E.g., in the actual wifi channel there is no inter-channel interference model. With the spectrum model this would be not only possible (that's a good thing), but mandatory (and this is a problem, as it could require more refactoring).

The 1st point, on the contrary, could be quite easy to do. Not *that* easy, but doable in a short time.

Cheers,

T.

Raghavan S

Jun 22, 2014, 3:29:01 PM6/22/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tommaso,

Thanks a lot for the information!
I could make the changes to the lr-wpan model, as you described, but the to use the Spectrum channel in wifi, really seems like a major change as you already mentioned. If I were to use a simpler CSMA/CA model for wifi, something like as described in http://www2.engr.arizona.edu/~junseok/simple_wireless.html , I feel that the amount of changes to be made will be far lesser. It would be great if you could give me some tips on how I could incorporate the spectrum channel model for the wifi implementation described in the above link.
Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Regards,
Raghavan

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 22, 2014, 6:08:57 PM6/22/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

yes, the number of changes may be fewer.
No, I wouldn't use the module you mentioned.

Despite being "simpler" to work with, their limited scope makes them unsuitable for your goals. I mean... to evaluate the interference you'll need to have a realistic interference (easy) and a realistic traffic pattern. If you resort to simplifications in the WiFi part, then you could as well use a simple waveform generator to provide "interference" over the desired channels. Isn't it ?

What's important is not that the frequency is used, it's that WiFi is using it. I.e., with all the packet retransmissions, variable datagram size, etc... a simplified model doesn't have any of those.
As a side note, changing YansWiFi could be easier than you think (at least at first).

Last but not least, I'd strongly suggest to move any further discussion to a new topic - it will be easier to catch for the ones interested in WiFi enhancements.

Henry

Jun 27, 2014, 4:36:54 AM6/27/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tommaso,

Do you know what is the expected release time of RPL protocol.

I really need it ASAP.

Thanks!

Tommaso Pecorella

Jul 16, 2014, 4:07:03 PM7/16/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
No ETA, sorry.

T.

maria jose

Sep 26, 2014, 4:30:49 PM9/26/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
¿Alguien sabe cual es la importancia de un blog? Ayudenme por favor

rushi trivedi

Dec 22, 2014, 10:15:00 AM12/22/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Can i use ns-3.20 for simulating wsn same as other simulator(ns-2,castalia,matlab) ??

Tamanna Sehgal

Jan 14, 2015, 12:21:04 AM1/14/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
hello Tommaso Pecorella,

Dear i m implementing a MAC protocol for WBAN in ns-3.19 and facing a problem related with segmentation fault. traces are ok if i run simulator for 1-3 seconds but if i increase seconds furthur, i get segmentation fault. plz help if u can. i am not able to get the root cause.

ashvini vyavhare

Feb 26, 2015, 9:54:49 AM2/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Will you be able to tell by when can we get RPL implementation in NS-3?
Need it for a project purpose.

Thanks,
Ashvini

harrison kurunathan

Apr 21, 2015, 4:53:01 AM4/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi tamanna,
i am also working on implemeting mac and cross layer  protocols for wban, do you have any suggestions how to start. I am new to ns3.

Zin Win

Nov 28, 2016, 2:40:15 AM11/28/16
to ns-3-users
Hi tamanna,

I also want to implement MAC protocols in WBAN like IEEE 802.15.6 in NS3 for my thesis. I would like to know it is possible or not.
May I know where I start to read because I am newbie in WSN in NS3. Please Give me sample code for it and Guide me ....