Help in building tree-based structures for P2P traffic

bba...@ncsu.edu

Apr 25, 2015, 12:22:31 PM4/25/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to understand if I can build a tree-like architecture and simulate UDP flows from the root to each child in parent-child manner. There are multiple links on this forum that point to dedicated examples of building a P2P network for torrent like applications; however I don't need a BitTorrent like scenario -  a normal flooding model will do. Can this be done?

Tommaso Pecorella

Apr 27, 2015, 10:58:46 AM4/27/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

yes, if can be done. However, you seems quite confused about the scenario and the simulator (or, at least, you don't explain very well what's your problem).

The answer to your question could have been found in the tutorial. As a consequence, I must conclude that you're asking us if ns-3 can be a suitable tool for your research before reading a 15-minutes text. I hope to be wrong...

T.

bba...@ncsu.edu

Apr 27, 2015, 12:02:46 PM4/27/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomasco,

My apologies for being unclear. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can use NS-3 to simulate a particular tree-like architecture for peer-to-peer media streaming before actually simulating multimedia streams. My problem stems from the fact that while I can create static tree-structures (using examples first.cc and second.cc as guides) - I'm unable to figure out how to model real world behaviour in terms of streaming the media (using UDP streams as an example). For e.g. nodes in the lower level of the tree would act as clients to upper layers but also pass that stream down as servers to their children. I'm a little confused as to whether I can model this streaming behaviour across a topology accurately using the streaming models that are present.

Tommaso Pecorella

Apr 27, 2015, 12:59:38 PM4/27/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

no, you can't simulate what you said using the current models. You'll have to develop at least an "Application", probably based on UdpClient. It should be fairly easy.
However, only you can say if this is "accurate" enough for you.

Summarizing, you can do what you want with ns-3, but you'll need to be ready to develop your own models, especially if your scenario is not that common.

Cheers,

T.