How to remove the module for NS-3/ndnSIM

Aleko Ye

Jun 29, 2016, 8:13:19 AM6/29/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

I am trying to remove some of the unused components (e.g. LTE, WIFI, 6lowpan ...) from the ndnSIM2.1.

I try to simply delete the module and I get the error "Could not find a task generator for the name XXX", obviously...

I tried the distclean, it does not work for me.

I think it must be some issues of the wscript or makefile, however, I could not find the right location to remove the module.
(I searched the whole directory using searchmonkey, only find the string "Could not find a task generator for the name" in files: faq.rst/getting-started.rst)

I am very appreciate if anyone provide any hint?

Thanks again~

Best Regards
Yuhang

Konstantinos

Jun 29, 2016, 8:29:43 AM6/29/16
to ns-3-users
Hi Yuhang,

You have two options.
a) delete the source code. Something you already said you tried. This might be problematic as you noticed due to dependencies of the modules. For example you can't simply delete WIFI without removing also AODV module since there latter depends on WIFI. If you solve those dependencies, then you can easily delete the modules.
However, I would not recommend this approach since at a later stage you might need them.

b) build only the modules you want/need. See the ns-3 manual for more information

Regards,

Aleko Ye

Jun 29, 2016, 1:27:05 PM6/29/16
to ns-3-users

Hi Konstantinos,

Thanks a lot for your help,

I tried as your second suggestion, the ns3-manual provides solution for it, however, I found it is a little "tricky" to do so,

I only enable the ndnSIM module using the ns3 configuration file (.ns3rc), and the compiler (using the wscript) automatically identify the dependency for ndnSIM.

I find out that it does not increase the efficiency too much, it still need to compile around 2500 files (number of them is lte, WIFI, ...) with example, (in case of all-module, the number of file to be compiled is around 2900 with examples).

Best Regards
Yuhang