Creating a modified wifi module

Alejandro M.

Jun 18, 2018, 7:05:11 AM6/18/18
to ns-3-users
Hello,

I want to define and create a new module using as a reference the wifi-module already included in the ns-3 project. I mean, I want to create a kind of "modified-wifi" module to compare the performance with the original wifi module. I would like to know a proper and relatively fast manner to do that. Currently, I have followed the tutorial about creating a new module and I have already my new module "modified-wifi". If I copy the classes of the original wifi module to the modified one, I have problems related to dependencies due to the fact that both modules have classes with the same names. Could you give me some advice to approach this problem?

Thank you!

Tawsif Shahriar

May 23, 2023, 7:10:06 AM5/23/23
to ns-3-users
Hi,
Did you find the solution? I am also trying to do the same thing, but it seems like a lot of hassle and will take a long time.

Thanks

Dongsheng Jia

Aug 28, 2023, 4:34:02 AM8/28/23
to ns-3-users
Hello, i'm trying to do the same thing,too. when i reproduce a paper, which has provided its code(a new module, named trust), there is a "cycle detected in the process" problem, this means that the wifi module depend on trust module and AODV module, and AODV module depends on trust module and wifi module, and trust module depends on AODV module and wifi module. This means error for NS-3 because of circular reference. In order to uncouple them, I integrated trust module with AODV module. this means i delete the trust module, and add related .cc and .h files to AODV module. But this caused another problem. The "cycle detected in the process " problem happends between Wifi module and AODV module. So i try to copy and modify the wifi module(new module named wifycopy module) so as to refered by AODV module. But there is a new error " msg="Log component "WifiPhy" has already been registered once.", file=../src/core/model/log.cc, line=121.  terminate called without an active exception Command ['/root/ns-allinone-3.33/ns-3.33/build/scratch/myfirst'] terminated with signal SIGIOT. Run it under a debugger to get more information (./waf --run <program> --gdb")." I am a beginer of NS-3, could you help me to figure it out, pls?

Tawsif Shahriar

Aug 29, 2023, 5:25:41 AM8/29/23
to ns-3-users
Dear Dongsheng,
I am not clear about your dependence of wifi module on AODV module. As per my knowledge, wifi module should not depend on AODV module. There can be some other architecture that can be thought of. But I am still unable to duplicate a module to modify in an easy way. The current wifi module is so big that it is frustrating to just check every. h file and. cc file manually and renaming them. If anybody comes out with any idea, it'll be of great help.

Regards
Tawsif Shahriar
Message has been deleted

Dongsheng Jia

Aug 30, 2023, 9:08:03 AM8/30/23
to ns-3-users
Dear Tawsif,
Actually, I haven't found 'AODV' in the src/wifi/wscript, which means wifi module do not depend on AODV module. But once I added related module, the error happened shown as below. That's why i want to copy and modify wifi module. I agree with you, it a big project, and i do not know how to modify it. Maybe i have to change my mind. Anyway, thanks a lot!
122222222222222.png
Regards
Dongsheng Jia