laa-wifi-simple: Default Throughput

wessam...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2017, 4:32:55 PM2/3/17
to ns-3-users
Hi All,

I have downloaded phase 3 of LAA-Wifi-coexistence (https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/LAA-WiFi-Coexistence) and I have ns-3.26. I run laa-wifi-simple with the default parameters (i.e., ./waf --run laa-wifi-simple). The program is running, however, I am getting different throughput numbers than the reported numbers in the laa-wifi-simple.cc file. Specifically,

In laa-wifi-simple.cc, it was written:
//  When run with no arguments, something like this will show:
//
//  ./waf --run "laa-wifi-simple"
//
//Running simulation for 1 sec of data transfer; 5 sec overall
//Operator A: LAA; number of cells 1; number of UEs 1
//Operator B: Wi-Fi; number of cells 1; number of UEs 1
//Total txop duration: 0 seconds.
//Total phy arrivals duration: 0 seconds.
//--------monitorA----------
//Flow 1 (1.0.0.2:49153 -> 7.0.0.2:9) proto UDP
//  Tx Packets: 7303
//  Tx Bytes:   7507484
//  TxOffered:  60.0599 Mbps
//  Rx Bytes:   7507484
//  Throughput: 71.4195 Mbps
//  Mean delay:  27.8461 ms
//  Mean jitter:  0.201836 ms
//  Rx Packets: 7303
//--------monitorB----------
//Flow 1 (12.0.0.1:49153 -> 18.0.0.2:9) proto UDP
//  Tx Packets: 5197
//  Tx Bytes:   5342516
//  TxOffered:  42.7401 Mbps
//  Rx Bytes:   5342516
//  Throughput: 77.0265 Mbps
//  Mean delay:  0.509075 ms
//  Mean jitter:  0.0645998 ms
//  Rx Packets: 5197
//--- List of associations (time and node id) ---
//0.600294 3 associate 00:00:00:00:00:06
//
//  In this case, both LAA and Wi-Fi obtain good throughput and low latency.
//

When I run the same code (attached) with the default parameters, I got the attached results. As you notice, the throughput that I got are 56 Mbps (Laa) and 37 Mbps (Wifi), while the reported ones are 71 and 77 Mbps.

Anyone know the reason for that?
When I change the "duration", it changes the TX packets, but I am still getting smaller throughput numbers.

Thank you in advance

Best regards,
Wessam
MyResults.png
laa-wifi-simple.cc

Tom Henderson

Feb 3, 2017, 6:07:06 PM2/3/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the sample values in that program's comments are out of date with the code.  This is just a simple example meant to be a starting point but is configured by default to run for only a few seconds of simulation time and not supposed to provide definitive throughput numbers.  The comment in the header says it is just 'sample output'.

You will also get different values if you change the random number generator stream assignments; e.g. ./waf --run 'laa-wifi-simple --RngRun=2'

- Tom

wessam...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2017, 6:25:36 PM2/3/17
to ns-3-users
Thank you Prof. Henderson for your reply.

Best regards,
Wessam

Arul Rich

Mar 16, 2017, 2:18:19 AM3/16/17
to ns-3-users
Sir,
      Can we add about 10 nodes to the configration and measure each node through the flow monitor....

   Plz Help
      Thank You

Faizan Khawaja

Mar 22, 2017, 3:06:36 PM3/22/17
to ns-3-users
Sir,
I am new user of ns3. I have install ns-allinone-3.26 in Ubntu but now i am facing much problems in running Phase 1 in ns3.

Problem means, i don't known how to run phase 1. How to enable examples & tests or
how to execute files like lte-wifi simple.cc etc.

For this we need mercurial or not ? If needed than how to install and use?
Plz guide us as we need it much for our Final Year Project.
Appreciate for your response.

Tom Henderson

Mar 22, 2017, 5:34:26 PM3/22/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
See the 'Getting Started' section of this wiki page:
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/LAA-WiFi-Coexistence

Note that LAA installation is separate from a generic ns-allinone-3.26 installation; you will have to start over with the LAA code.

- Tom

Faizan Khawaja

Mar 23, 2017, 3:22:52 PM3/23/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Sir i am much thankful to you for this immediate and fruitful response.
I am doing my Final Year Project " LTE-WiFi coexistence in unlicensed band ".
so for that i have to propose my own coexistence scheme. For this if i will need help, I will contact you.

Special thanks from me.

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Reem Altahatrwa

Mar 23, 2017, 11:59:01 PM3/23/17
to ns-3-users
I try to ./waf this file, but it give me this error as appear in attached file, can anyone help me?
Screenshot from 2017-03-24 11-54-02.png

Tom Henderson

Mar 24, 2017, 12:17:56 AM3/24/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 03/23/2017 08:59 PM, Reem Altahatrwa wrote:
> I try to ./waf this file, but it give me this error as appear in
> attached file, can anyone help me?

To use the LAA code you must download and build the LAA repository or
archive, not move the example program into the ns-3.26 release.

- Tom

Faizan Khawaja

Mar 24, 2017, 1:28:44 AM3/24/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

LAA installation is different from ns-3.26 installation.
See the "Getting stated" section of this link.    https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/LAA-WiFi-Coexistence.
Must read the pdf link given in this section for LAA installation.

Secondly, after the installation of LAA ,
you must have to install python in your OS to run  "Build.py " commands.

Reem Altahatrwa

Mar 28, 2017, 10:47:13 AM3/28/17
to ns-3-users
Really thanks a lot.
its  helpful
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to ns-3-users+...@googlegroups.com.

Faizan Khawaja

Apr 4, 2017, 5:22:27 AM4/4/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello sir,
Sir i followed your prescribed steps and i have executed indoor scenario successfully. But, how would i come to know that for which scenario these results are? Is there any graphical result showing the scenario?

Scenario means how much wifi nodes are there? How much Lte nodes are?  At which frequency and other parameters etc.

Secondly, if we want to draw our own scenario, so what will be the steps?

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Tom Henderson <to...@tomh.org> wrote:

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Tom Henderson

Apr 4, 2017, 12:32:48 PM4/4/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 04/04/2017 02:22 AM, Faizan Khawaja wrote:
> Hello sir,
> Sir i followed your prescribed steps and i have executed indoor
> scenario successfully. But, how would i come to know that for which
> scenario these results are? Is there any graphical result showing the
> scenario?
>
> Scenario means how much wifi nodes are there? How much Lte nodes are?
> At which frequency and other parameters etc.

There is some lengthy documentation posted on the wiki that provides
such details, or you can read or step through the code if you prefer.
Regarding a graphical result showing the scenario, there is a depiction
in the documentation but there is no automatic output of a depiction of
the scenario.

> Secondly, if we want to draw our own scenario, so what will be the steps?

The two files 'laa-wifi-indoor.cc' and 'scenario-helper.cc' implement
much of the configuration for the TR36.889 scenarios. If you prefer to
author your own scenario, you will have to modify those files or replace
them with your own.

- Tom

Faizan Khawaja

Apr 5, 2017, 2:42:42 PM4/5/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks sir for guiding me.
But I wanna ask some more queries.

First, will you please provide me the link of the documentation on wiki, which you prescribed me above for phase 2.

Secondly, I want to simulate phase 1 also as it supports outdoor scenario. So is there any helping material for installing phase 1.
if there any, plz recommend me.

- Tom

Tom Henderson

Apr 7, 2017, 12:14:28 AM4/7/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 04/05/2017 11:42 AM, Faizan Khawaja wrote:
> Thanks sir for guiding me.
> But I wanna ask some more queries.
>
> First, will you please provide me the link of the documentation on
> wiki, which you prescribed me above for phase 2.

https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/LAA-WiFi-Coexistence (see the Getting
Started links)

> Secondly, I want to simulate phase 1 also as it supports outdoor
> scenario. So is there any helping material for installing phase 1.
> if there any, plz recommend me.

The phase 1 HTML is not posted on the web but you can build it yourself
(using normal ns-3 documentation build tools) or read the source files
found in the src/laa-wifi-coexistence/doc/source directory of the phase
1 code.

- Tom

Faizan Khawaja

Apr 8, 2017, 11:31:22 AM4/8/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi sir,
Sir I have executed the "laa-wifi outdoor.cc" file by copying it first in "scratch" folder. It runs very smoothly with no error. Even up to end as shown in the snapshot. But little before the end it displays error. You can see that

and the error which is display is about the last command of the script of "laa-wifi outdoor.cc". I have highlighted that. Please have a look.

kindly recommend me the proposed solution.

- Tom

Tom Henderson

Apr 9, 2017, 10:14:03 PM4/9/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 04/08/2017 08:31 AM, Faizan Khawaja wrote:
> Hi sir,
> Sir I have executed the "laa-wifi outdoor.cc" file by copying it first
> in "scratch" folder. It runs very smoothly with no error. Even up to
> end as shown in the snapshot. But little before the end it displays
> error.

Hello, try leaving laa-wifi-outdoor.cc in the same directory that you
found it. The problem that you are seeing is that the program relies on
scenario helper but that file is not built as a library, so it is not
found when you move that program to the scratch directory.

In the ns-3-laa repository, I have just tested that I can successfully
run 'laa-wifi-indoor', 'laa-wifi-outdoor' and 'laa-wifi-simple' when I
leave them in the src/laa-wifi-coexistence/examples directory

- Tom

Faizan Khawaja

Apr 11, 2017, 2:17:12 PM4/11/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi sir,
Sir i tried the way you told me. But i think i am not sure about the exact command to execute the outdoor.cc file. Actually I tried these commands   ( ./waf --run examples/laa-wifi outdoor  ) and ( ./waf --run laa-wifi outdoor ). But they gave the same error each time. You can see that in the snapshot.

Even though I enable examples and tests then what is this?
Please help me out of this.

Secondly, i wanna ask one more question and that is , is this outdoor.cc file will give all that results which we get in phase II execution?
Means to say all that graphs etc.

Tom Henderson

Apr 11, 2017, 3:33:24 PM4/11/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 04/11/2017 11:16 AM, Faizan Khawaja wrote:
> Hi sir,
> Sir i tried the way you told me. But i think i am not sure about the
> exact command to execute the outdoor.cc file. Actually I tried these
> commands ( ./waf --run examples/laa-wifi outdoor ) and ( ./waf --run
> laa-wifi outdoor ). But they gave the same error each time. You can see
> that in the snapshot.

Hello, you are asking a basic question about how ns-3 works; I suggest
you study the tutorial as a next step.

The use of waf to run examples requires that you execute it from the top
level directory, not from within the examples directory.

> ​
> Even though I enable examples and tests then what is this?
> Please help me out of this.

The tutorial explains this.

> Secondly, i wanna ask one more question and that is , is this outdoor.cc
> file will give all that results which we get in phase II execution?
> Means to say all that graphs etc.

No, the scripts that generate graphs are not part of that repository.
They are in ns-3-lbt repository and could be copied over and adapted for
ns-3-laa repository.

- Tom

Faizan Khawaja

Apr 14, 2017, 12:16:25 PM4/14/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi sir,
God bless you.
It work.

- Tom

Faizan Khawaja

Apr 15, 2017, 3:53:15 PM4/15/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi sir,
I have successfully plotted the scenario files for "outdoor.cc" and they were plotted in "netanim".

Now, I am trying to plot the result graphs as in phase II.
For this, firstly i copied these file "run-laa-wifi indoor.ftp" & "plot-laa-wifi indoor.ftp" in phase 1, as per your instructions and tried to make much amendments to adopt them for outdoor. But errors and errors.

If you have any helping material for this. Plz refer me.
And if any person worked on this. refer me too.

Thanks for response.

Faizan Khawaja

Apr 22, 2017, 4:47:50 AM4/22/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I want to get the graph of throughput and latency for outdoor scenario same like for indoor scenario in phase-2. Soi edit the run-laa-wifi-indoor-ftp.sh in phase-2 according to the outdoor scenario. I add the variable of outdoor scenario in it. when i run, it gives following error. Any help?

Capture.PNG