ns3 Lena Propagation-/Fadingmodel

Iconic92

Jun 6, 2017, 7:25:12 AM6/6/17
to ns-3-users
Hello ns-3-users,

I am currently trying to understand how ue's in the lte-lena module compute their received signal strength etc.
Searching the web i found these values:
  • Pathloss: PL = 128.1 + 37.6 log10 (d)
  • Penetration Loss: PN = log normal distribution, μ = 0 dB, σ = 8 dB
  • Shadowing: SH = 10 dB
  • Fast Fading: MLP = precomputed jacks models
The main problem is that i can't find the files or code where the signal is being calculated based on these values.

Also i can't find a difference between fadingmodel and pathlossmodel.
Would it be right to say fadingmodel is a deterministic model and pathloss is probabilistic to model movement etc.?

I appreciate every hint or advice you can give me.

Thank you in advance,
Iconic

Biljana Bojović

Jun 9, 2017, 11:30:16 AM6/9/17
to ns-3-users
Hi Iconic,

I recommend you you going through this:

https://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/propagation.html

and then  through this:
https://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/lte-design.html#channel-and-propagation

and this:
https://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/lte-user.html#fading-trace-usage
https://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/lte-user.html#mobility-model-with-buildings

Then go through examples in lte/examples folder:
lena-fading.cc
lena-pathloss-traces.cc

To see how fading traces are calculated in matlab check matlab scripts in lte/model/fading-traces/ folder.

I think that after going through all this you will understand how is computed received signal strength in ns-3 and lena.

Hope this helps,
Biljana