Issues with OkumuraHata Propagation Loss (LTE)

boenhn

Mar 27, 2019, 6:17:31 AM3/27/19
to ns-3-users
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a simple LTE system with two UEs and one BS, sending UDP packets from one UE to the other (using UdpEcho Server and Client)
Everything works fine with default attributes, but I'd like to change the propagation loss model to OkumuraHataPropagationLossModel because I think the FriisPropagationLossModel is not realistic.
lteHelper->SetAttribute("PathlossModel",StringValue("ns3::OkumuraHataPropagationLossModel"));
But when I do this, no packets are ever received at the receiver. It seems like the receiver can't be reached anymore, so the packets get dropped but I struggle to understand why or how to fix it. I looked everywhere for examples on how to properly use the OkumuraHata but couldn't find anything. I know the height of nodes has to be > 0 so I assured that I have that. I tried different position allocations and mobility settings which had no effect. In order to rule out that anything else in my code is causing issues, I went back to the lena-simple-epc example and changed the PathlossModel as well as the height of node positions, and the same thing happens.

I also tried to set the Pathloss model differently. I replaced the line from above with the following, and suddenly the UDP echo works
Config::SetDefault ("ns3::LteHelper::PathlossModel", StringValue ("ns3::OkumuraHataPropagationLossModel"));
However I also notice, that the UDP packets are also not received if I add this line to the top of my main() instead of later after creating the lteHelper object and I wasn't sure which way is the correct way to do it.

So now I am thouroughly confused by what my mistakes are and I am hoping someone can kindly explain how the OkumuraHataPropagationLossModel is used correctly and point out what I do wrong. Has someone else also experienced problems, or is there maybe just a dumb beginner mistake that I'm making?

Best Regards
udp-lte-simple.cc

boenhn

Aug 5, 2019, 5:03:47 AM8/5/19
to ns-3-users
Hello my friends,

is there any chance that someone successfully using the OkumuraHata propagation model can help me?
Am I the only person struggling with this, or is this propagation model just not working in general? I find posts in ns-3-users where people use it in the exact same way and for them it seemed to work fine.

Best Regards