Challange response authentication in ns3

nipa patani

Mar 29, 2017, 1:16:47 AM3/29/17
to ns-3-users
Hey ns-3 experts!!

To authenticate each packet from the multiple clients, Can we do something like this:

  1. The server sends its public key with the challenge
  2. The clients generates a random number, encrypts it with the server's public key, and sends it back with its response
  3. The number is the first number used for counter-mode encryption
  4. The clients includes one counter-mode result with each packet it sends

Counter mode means you just generate consecutive numbers, and encrypt each in turn, using the right key. In this case, the key would be the hash of the client's password. What this means is that each packet will contain a unique random number that both the client and the server can generate, but nobody else can. By using the counter-mode encryption, each packet will have a unique random number. By starting from a random number, each session will have a unique sequence of random numbers.

Thanks..!

Konstantinos

Mar 29, 2017, 4:31:49 AM3/29/17
to ns-3-users
Hi,

Is your question whether this authentication protocol is valid and secure, or whether you can implement it in ns-3?
If it is the latter, yes you can implement it.

Regards,

nipa patani

Mar 29, 2017, 4:49:03 AM3/29/17
to ns-3-users
thanks for the quick reply..

my question is for the implementation of authentication protocol in ns3.
Can you please suggest me any reference for doing the same in ns-3.??
I have a topology with 3 source node and 1 receiver node.The traffic is TCP & UDP. How can i implement authentication protocol for the scenario??

thanks K..

Konstantinos

Mar 29, 2017, 4:55:20 AM3/29/17
to ns-3-users
First of all you need to study and understand how ns-3 operates
Then in the manual there is section on building new modules
https://www.nsnam.org/docs/manual/html/new-modules.html

In this list, there was a discussion on how to build a new routing protocol that is a comprehensive guide on the steps required.
Similar steps need to be performed for your authentication protocol. First design it on paper with all required message exchanges and then start implementing step by step.