Is MPI usefull in a P2P to speed up simulation time?

Peter Detzner

May 10, 2020, 6:33:40 AM5/10/20
to ns-3-users
Hello guys...

I am using the ns-3 simulator to create a Peer2Peer network, as in the figure below shown. The network has a size of 14 nodes. A simulation is quite fast, but having few thound nodes is pretty slow and takes couple of days to simulate.

However, I was wondering if I it makes sense to use MPI here, to split and speed up the simulation. My idea was, to split this network into two groups (Level 0-2 and Level 3), where each group has 7 nodes. Each node has some specific routing information (parent, child, neighbors). During a search for another node, it might needs to change the layer and jump on higher/lower level. Does it even make sense here, to use MPI? Or do you have any other idea to speed up the simulation? Right now, all nodes are connected via Ethernet.

Best regards,
Peter