DCE: should one use net-next-sim or net-next-nuse ?

Matt Anonyme

Sep 9, 2015, 10:19:40 AM9/9/15
to ns-3-users
Hi,

While doing a simulation with DCE and the https://github.com/direct-code-execution/net-next-sim (merged with mptcp) kernel, I found a smashing stack error upon a call of getsockname. I believe the buffer overflow is from the net-next-sim kernel (The program I use pass the address of a simple sockaddr struct and then getsockname must write out of bounds) but before investigating further to fix the problem, I would like to understand what are the differences between net-next-sim and https://github.com/libos-nuse/net-next-nuse ? does net-next-nuse depreciate/override net-next-sim ? If a fix possibly exists in load net-next-nuse, I would rather switch to net-next-nuse .

Cheers
Matt

Hajime Tazaki

Sep 9, 2015, 7:46:28 PM9/9/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

At Wed, 9 Sep 2015 07:19:40 -0700 (PDT),
the master branch of net-next-nuse is going to override
net-next-sim in near future, but other branches
(sim-ns3-2.6.36-branch, etc) may keep remained for the
historical reason.

until some particular point around Linux 4.1, I kept
net-next-sim synchronized with net-next-nuse by hand but not
lazily doing recently.

so for the answer to your question, net-next-sim is not
going to be updated; further development based on newer
kernel version will be on net-next-nuse (of course with DCE
capability). I would suggest to use with net-next-nuse if
you use >4.1 version of Linux kernel.

-- Hajime

Matt

Sep 11, 2015, 5:23:56 AM9/11/15
to ns-3-users
Thanks for the clear answer. I am using a 3.14 kernel so I will stick
to net-next-sim for now thanks !