packet loss in wifi(802.11ac Standard)

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 20, 2016, 10:32:11 AM10/20/16
to ns-3-users
Hello all,
I have written a script where 10 wifi stations echo the data(no of packets =1000) to a remote node( data rate= 10Mbps)attached to wifi access point through point to point connection(p2p connection=1000Mbps).
I have used the 80211ac wifi standard with HT MCS Index 7 ,channel width 160MHz(theoretically provides 650Mbps) and short guard interval(400ns)

When I traced the pcap file it shows a packet loss within a range of 10 to 100 packets for different stations.
I am confused why it is having this many packet loss in spite of using 80211ac standard. Is it normal to have this many packet loss.?

Please find the attached script here with.Could anyone help to figure out the mistake in my script/?

testwifi.cc

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 22, 2016, 10:29:00 AM10/22/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

yes, it is totally normal to have that kind of packet drops given your script.

However, we're not really here to find what's wrong at design level in the user's scripts.
I can only tell you this: the problem you are facing:
1) Has been discussed countless times,
2) Can be found by simply looking at the collisions
3) No real system could have a similar effect.

Yes, you did something wrong in the setup, but it's so evident that it would be an insult to point it out.

T.

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 22, 2016, 11:02:11 AM10/22/16
to ns-3-users
Dear Tomasso,
Thank you for your reply.Sorry for the mistake.In fact I don't have much experience in coding in ns3.
I just wanted to ask you whether I made mistake in setting up the wifi standard or somewhere else?I have followed the same procedure as given in the wifi module page in ns3 for setting up the wifi.It would be great if you tell me in which place I did the mistake.?
Thanks and Regards
Subin

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 22, 2016, 11:49:36 AM10/22/16
to ns-3-users
your applications are starting at the very same time. Bad idea.

T.

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 23, 2016, 6:33:12 AM10/23/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tommaso,
I actually wanted to send the packets from all the wifi stations at the same time and check whether how many packets have been lost,roundtrip time,network load etc.
Thats why I started all the applications at the same time.Would there be any other method to do the same?

Regards
Subin

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Tommaso Pecorella

Oct 23, 2016, 1:22:23 PM10/23/16
to ns-3-users
No further comments are necessary. The topic is closed.

T.

Tom Henderson

Oct 23, 2016, 4:33:33 PM10/23/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 10/23/2016 03:33 AM, SUBIN JOSEPH wrote:
> Dear Tommaso,
> I actually wanted to send the packets from all the wifi stations at the
> *same time* and check whether how many packets have been lost,roundtrip
> time,network load etc.
> Thats why I started all the applications at the same time.Would there be
> any other method to do the same?

Hi Subin,
Try limiting your nWifi to 1 and see whether you are having losses. If
so, you might consider to change the modulation (MCS) or the distances
between the nodes until you observe no losses. If you do not see losses
with nWifi equal to 1 but see them when nWifi is greater, it could be
due to sending too much data at the same time.

- Tom

SUBIN JOSEPH

Oct 23, 2016, 4:57:07 PM10/23/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,
Thank you so much for your reply..I will try to do that:)
Regards
Subin

- Tom