Downloading the network simulation cradle with ./download.py?

Arthur Wulf White

Apr 14, 2014, 6:04:10 AM4/14/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I read here:
https://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.14/tutorial/singlehtml/index.html
That when I download NS-3, it's supposed to download NSC too?
However, when I download, I only seem to get the following:

    # Get NS-3 ...
    # Get PyBindGen ...
    # Get NetAnim ...
    # Get bake ...

How do I download NSC?

Thanks,

Arthur

Konstantinos

Apr 14, 2014, 6:12:42 AM4/14/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Arthur,

The tutorial you read is for NS-3.14, and it is outdated.
From the ns-3 wiki you can get

In addition, NSC development in NS-3 has been very active, on the contrary DCE has been.

Regards,
K.

Arthur Wulf White

Apr 14, 2014, 6:20:20 AM4/14/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Konstantinos,

Thank you for the help. So you recommend I use DCE to run a simulation with cubic?

Best regards,
Arthur

Konstantinos

Apr 14, 2014, 6:40:48 AM4/14/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think that DCE is better.
TCP Cubic is included in linux kernels 2.6.19 and newer, and DCE supports 2.6.36-2.3

Just make sure you install the 'advanced' mode.

Arthur Wulf White

Apr 14, 2014, 8:01:46 AM4/14/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
How do I use the DCE TCP Cubic with an existing ns-3 scenario?
I saw this example:
http://www.nsnam.org/docs/dce/manual/html/dce-cradle.html
Is there any additional information on this?

I simply need to configure TCP to DCE with Cubic instead of the native new-reno  on an existing P2P star configuration..

Previously (with NSC) I used these as examples to see how nsc configures cubic:

./examples/tcp/tcp-nsc-lfn.cc
./examples/tcp/tcp-nsc-comparison.cc
./examples/tcp/tcp-nsc-zoo.cc

Best regards,
Arthur

Konstantinos

Apr 14, 2014, 8:29:43 AM4/14/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't worked with DCE much. More information you can find here https://www.nsnam.org/overview/projects/direct-code-execution/

Tommaso Pecorella

Apr 14, 2014, 1:50:44 PM4/14/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

mind that there's a proposed patch (currently being reviewed) which will add TCP CUBIC to the ns-3 supported TCP flavors.

Cheers,

T.

Arthur Wulf White

Apr 16, 2014, 7:21:47 AM4/16/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tommaso,

How do I find this patch? Is there any chance you could attach the tgz?
Are users allowed to access patches before release?

Many thanks,

Arthur

Konstantinos

Apr 16, 2014, 7:57:01 AM4/16/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arthur

Here is the proposed TCP cubic https://codereview.appspot.com/87740043

Users are welcome to download, test the code and provide reviews that would make the merging process quicker.

Siddharth

May 17, 2014, 5:51:29 PM5/17/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Arthur,

To use CUBIC or any of the available congestion control algorithms, you could try the following procedure:

Enable the needed modules in the kernel:
  # patching arch/sim/defconfig with the needed changes (patch attached with this mail)
  $ patch defconfig < protocols_enabler.patch
  # cd to kernel base directory and rebuild kernel with the changes
  $ make clean ARCH=sim
  $ make defconfig library ARCH=sim
  # cd to bakefile.xml directory and build using bake to link new .so file
  $ bake/bake.py build

Once enabled, you could set specific congestion control algorithms using a system call in your test script as below:
  <stack>.SysctlSet(<specificNode>, ".net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control", "cubic");

Do let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Siddharth
protocols_enabler.patch

feilu....@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2015, 2:33:05 PM2/23/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Konstantinos and Tom,

Has the ns-3 TCP cubic code been merged into official ns3 code?

If not, where could I find the latest version of the code? I could not open the link you shared last year: https://codereview.appspot.com/87740043

I could not find TCP cubic code in the latest ns 3.22 either.

I am evaluating to use TCP cubic in ns-3, if ns-3 does not natively support it, then I may use NSC or DCE cradle. Which one is easier to use, NSC or DCE cradle?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Feilu Liu

--------------

Ph.D., Senior Engineer,

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.

Konstantinos

Feb 23, 2015, 3:17:04 PM2/23/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Feilu,

You can download TCP cubic from the author's website
I guess it is the same. I do not know why the codereview is not working.

From the discussions in the ns-3-reviews mailing list, I got that this patch was not merged, but some comments were given.

I have not used NSC at all and only slightly DCE. I would recommend going for DCE since it is actively developed and you can get feedback.
Also I think it is said to be more resource efficient based on some presentation I had seen.

Feilu Liu

Feb 23, 2015, 3:57:13 PM2/23/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Konstantinos,
Thank you so much for your fast response! Really appreciate it.

Feilu Liu

Tommaso Pecorella

Feb 23, 2015, 4:33:36 PM2/23/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, Cubic has been also implemented by Natale recently. We'll review his code soon™, and we plan to merge it along with some other TCP flavours.

Cheers,

T.

Feilu Liu

Feb 23, 2015, 5:13:14 PM2/23/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Tom for the info!
Feilu
Message has been deleted

Tom Henderson

Jul 4, 2019, 12:28:36 PM7/4/19
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 7/4/19 8:39 AM, Shahrukh Khan Kasi wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a question regarding the integration of LWIP with Network
> simulator 3. If I have to run simulations of LWIP in NS3 (or some
> other simulator) then how can that be possible?
>

> Best,
>
> Shahrukh

HI Shahrukh,

Would you mind please reposting your question with a new subject line
rather than replying to a subject line from a different topic?

Please have a look at our guidelines for posting:
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting

Thanks,

Tom