Developer Introduction (GSoC Aspirant 2018)

Pushkal Goyal

Feb 20, 2018, 9:29:43 AM2/20/18
to ns-3-users
Hello, I am Pushkal Goyal a 3th year undergraduate student at GLA University. I will be a GSOC applicant this year. I have the idea to implement for ns-3 organisation.

Idea: To implement a IoT based Training Simulation that will help to make learn the students about the various technologies(Different IoT modules, Different communication protocols etc.) that are used in IoT.

Tom Henderson

Feb 21, 2018, 3:23:04 PM2/21/18
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pushkal, I see that you have been already discussing your ideas with
mentors in our Zulip chat room. This is a reminder to everyone
interested in GSOC to please connect with prospective mentors and work
to refine project ideas before the deadline (and of course, review the
student application guide, list of project ideas, and past GSoC project
reports on our wiki).

- Tom

Pushkal Goyal

Feb 24, 2018, 7:28:19 AM2/24/18
to ns-3-users
Thanks Sir, Really grateful for your reply. Also there on Zulip because of you I am capable of deciding exactly what to do in my summer project. I had posted that on Zulip. Really a lot lot thanks to you Sir. So Great of You. I dont know whether I will be selected or not but I am really feeling lucky that I met with you peoples. Thanks for guiding me again.

Pushkal Goyal

Mar 5, 2018, 3:55:21 AM3/5/18
to ns-3-users
I have my proposal ready Please have a look at this and provide your feedbacks and suggestions.

Pushkal Goyal

Mar 5, 2018, 9:13:06 PM3/5/18
to ns-3-users

This is  My New Proposal. Please have a look at this and provide your feedbacks and suggestions.

Pushkal Goyal

Mar 6, 2018, 6:26:11 AM3/6/18
to ns-3-users
Sorry Previously wrong link was published now is the correct link of the proposal.

Tom Henderson

Mar 8, 2018, 2:37:34 PM3/8/18
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On 03/06/2018 03:26 AM, Pushkal Goyal wrote:
Sorry Previously wrong link was published now is the correct link of the proposal.

Hi Pushkal,
Thanks for sharing your project proposal on the list.  It may seem counter-intuitive to share during a competitive application phase, but doing so enables mentors to provide feedback to improve the application (and we prefer to do this on the lists rather than in private chats).  In the end, we will rank the best applications, and interaction with mentors, developers, and (if it occurs) the broader user community will invariably improve the ranking of a proposal (vs. a proposal that we see for the first time after the application deadline).

One of our students from last year (Surya Seetharaman) was kind enough to share an example proposal that ranked very highly; the link can be found on Surya's project wiki page and is reposted here.

Please have a careful look and compare the level and type of detail with yours, such as
  • careful description of the model (what the ns-3 code is intended to represent)
  • outline of the proposed code architecture, and planned ns-3 attributes and trace sources
  • examples of usage, from a user perspective,
  • test cases (what tests will the code be able to pass in the end?)
  • detailed schedule with milestones broken down into small enough items so that the development plan, and student's knowledge of ns-3, can be seen,
  • inclusion of references (academic references, standard references, and you should search for other ns-3 implementations of what you are proposing).
With regard to your proposal for IoT protocols, I'm not very knowledgeable about the details of these protocols, so perhaps it would be appropriate for others in this forum to review and comment on what features and capabilities that they would wish to see if ns-3 models of these protocols were to be developed?

- Tom

Pushkal Goyal

Mar 10, 2018, 9:46:04 PM3/10/18
to ns-3-users
Thanks Sir for your valuable reply, I will try to make all the changes you suggested in my proposal.