KGEC efforts on FOSS

Rohit Gupta

Apr 11, 2009, 4:43:50 PM4/11/09
to nrcfoss...@googlegroups.com
We the students of 'Kalyani Govt. Engg. College' (Kalyani, WB) are
keenly interested in learning GNU/Linux and have made some efforts to
use and learn. These are some them:

1) Having Successfully conducting an installfest in KGEC. Details:
http://kgeclug.blog.co.in/

Photo Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/kgec/
http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kgeclug/KGECInstallfest09
http://www.flickr.com/photos/indradg/sets/72157614247371239/

2) Setting up a computer in the college Library which has public
access with a poster as 'Maintained by GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'.

Photo Gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.co.in/rohit.kgec/KGECLUGStepsToSuccess?feat=directlink

3) Starting the Linux For You Magazine in college. Starting this month
(April '09).
4) We have the full fedora repository (25.7 GB) for Intel
architecture. Internet connection is a problem here.
5) We have set up the fedora mirror in two hostels of our college ie, RBC and VC

Photo Gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.co.in/rohit.kgec/SetingUpVCMirrorQuestions?feat=directlink

6) We have loads of many other different distributions (ubuntu, suse,
slackware, etc).
7) We also have fedora installed in our Lab computers and many of them
have been upgraded by our students with fedora 10. viz MCA Lab (30
computers).

Now, we are conducting a 'FreedomFest' on April 18, 2009 in our college.
This is the inauguration of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' followed by
FOSS events.

The outline of the program to be conducted are as follows:
1. inauguration by Principal
2. Talks on 'Why FOSS'
3. Linux workshop and how-to session

All these are the Efforts of our college students because we want to
create a GNU/Linux and FOSS friendly environment in our college.

The 'FreedomFest' is our present undertaking but we are having some
problems in organizing it properly. We are not getting enough funds
and speakers.

We have greater ambitions. We would like to conduct workshops in the
future that would enable us to move entirely to FOSS solutions in our
curriculum. I would like to know how nrcfoss could help us achieve
this.

Regards:
Rohit Gupta
B-Tech (IT - 2nd yr)
Kalyani Govt. Engg. College (WB)

Rohit Gupta

Apr 15, 2009, 11:03:02 AM4/15/09
to nrcfossconsult
> Now, we are conducting a 'FreedomFest' on April 18, 2009 in our college.
> This is the inauguration of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' followed by
> FOSS events.
>
> The outline of the program to be conducted are as follows:
> 1. inauguration by Principal
> 2. Talks on 'Why FOSS'
> 3. Linux workshop and how-to session

The date of 'FreedomFest' is very near (April 18) and any kind of help
sent by NRCFOSS will be appreciated.
The event is now Public and we are getting good responses from our
students.
This is a new initiative and we need support.

Regards:
Rohit Gupta
GLUG KGEC